To My Soulmates

To My Soulmates

Sisters before misters, right?

24
To My Soulmates

“Maybe our girlfriends are our soulmates and guys are just people to have fun with.” Carrie Bradshaw had the right idea when she said this. I’ve never been the type to rely wholeheartedly on a guy, but I have with my girl friends. I’m not saying don’t count on the men in your life, of course you should count on them. But having a girlfriend or two that you can call your soulmate is vital. I know I would not be the person I am if it weren't for my girls. Here are a few things I want to thank my soulmates for, whether they’re near or far.

Thank you for having my back since day one.

Being able to trust and count on a person is a huge part of being a friend, and I’m blessed to have people in my life that I can whole- heartedly rely on. From finishing high school, starting college, moving to different cities and starting new jobs, you’ve been a constant through it all and for that I am forever thankful. I know that regardless of where life takes us, you will be there for me.

Thank you for accepting me as I am.

Since meeting you, I’ve never felt like I had to pretend to be something I wasn’t. You accepted my love for Grey’s Anatomy, my tendency to be a “basic whit girl” and even my sarcastic attitude (actually, you probably added to it) with open arms. I thank you for putting up with me, even on my bad days, because without you I probably wouldn’t make it.

Thank you for listening to my rants, no matter the time of day (or night).

Whether I’m going on about something a guy did, a bad grade I made on a test or the crazy customer at work, you listen without judgement. And then you tell me what I need to hear, whether or not I actually want to hear it. I may not want to listen and I may give you the cold shoulder for a few days, but I always know that you have my best interest at heart. And in the end I follow your advice anyways.

Thank you for sharing your family with me.

Whether we met as little girls in kindergarten or co-workers at our first job or as freshman in college, you welcomed me into your family with open arms. And your family did too, which for that, I am forever grateful. Thank you for the support and love in everything I do. Thank you for letting me tag along on your family vacations. And thank you for basically adopting me into your family. I love you and the fam.

Thank you for always telling me the truth.

Whether it be about my appearance, my life choices or just your opinion in general, thank you. Thank you for being there to boost my self- esteem when I’m having a bad day, congratulate me when I get a big break, or just to tell me that you’re proud of me and the decisions I’m making. What you think means the world to me, and I’m glad that I never have to question if you’re being honest or not.

Thank you for the constant laughter.

The various adventures, countless inside jokes and priceless moments are all things that I will always hold close to my heart. Whenever I'm having a long day or I'm missing you, I think of the good times that we've shared and it helps me push through. Without you, my life would be a lot more boring and not nearly as fun. I'm glad to have you as my partner in crime.

Thank you for not letting the distance come between us.

Most of my friendships with my forever girlfriends have been long distance friendships at some point, but that never affected our relationship. We text, facetime, call or even write to stay in touch with each other. Although it may not be ideal, it is worth it. Having a friendship that is strong enough to surpass the miles that is between it is such a special thing and as they say, absence makes the heart grow fonder. I think I can speak for myself and my friends when I say whoever said long distance doesn't work was an idiot.

Lastly, thank you for being my No.1 supporter.

When I get a good grade, a promotion at work, or an A on that paper, you’re my number one fan through it all. You congratulate me and act as happy for my accomplishments as you do for your own. When I do terribly on a test, or work is excruciating, you act as if it happened to you as well. Whether my day is good or bad, you’re there to help me through it all and for that I thank you the most. Thank you for being my girlfriend, my person, my sister and my soulmate. I’m blessed to have you in my life, and I hope you know just how much you mean to me.