My Wake Up Call

My Wake Up Call

The morning God had enough of my "busy" schedule
7

Last Thursday, I woke up late. My new 6 week chapel series was starting that day and most of my friends had decided to go on Thursday mornings at 9:45. I heard my roommate leave for her 8 a.m. and told myself that I had a half hour left to sleep. I woke back up awhile later and realized my alarm still hadn't gone off. Curious, I sat up and looked at my phone. My phone must have turned off during the night and was stuck on the opening screen. "Sprint" flashed across my phone screen, but I couldn't get it to do anything else. Let's just say, I was not very happy about this. "I just got this phone over Thanksgiving break!" I thought to myself. I hurried up and got ready and miraculously made it to chapel on time.

When I got to chapel, we found out that the topic we would be focusing on for the next 6 weeks was seeking God. Our chapel leader told us a story about how she used to wake up in the morning and read her paper filled with bad news and drink coffee before getting ready for the day. She would push off spending time with God and tell herself, "I just don't have time." She later discovered that seeking God was the most important thing in life and if she had time to read the paper every morning, she certainly had time to spend with God.

I was in shock. I thought about how every morning I spent about a half hour on my phone before I got out of bed and often pushed God off for days when "I had more time." I then thought about my phone and how it had stopped working. God was certainly trying to get my attention! Instead of spending all that time on my phone every morning, I could be spending time deep in His word and starting my day off with some spiritual breakfast.

There are exactly 41 verses in the entire Bible that talk about seeking God. Each and every verse holds promises for those that seek Him. And let me tell you, these are some promises that you don't want to miss out on! Deuteronomy 4:29 says, "But if from there you seek the Lord your God, you will find Him if you look for Him with all your heart and with all your soul." A reoccurring theme that I found throughout these verses was the fact that if we seek God, we will find Him. It never once says that someone went searching for God and couldn't find Him. God is waiting patiently for us to reach out to Him, and if we do, He will 100% guaranteed be found!

I know what you're thinking, "Lauren, this post is super long." I know, I know. If you are reading this still, I hope that you will take a look at these verses and read about God's promises for you. Don't save God for later. Pick up your Bible right now and start reading! If you don't, God might just shut your phone off! (In case anyone was wondering, my phone worked fine the very next day).

Verses:

Deuteronomy 4:29; 1 Chronicles 16:10-11, 22:19, 28:9; II Chronicles 7:14, 12:14, 14:4, 15:2-3, 15:12-13, 15:15, 19:3, 26:5, 30:18-19; Psalm 9:10, 10:4, 14:2, 22:26, 24:5-6, 27:4, 27:8, 34:10, 40:16, 63:1, 70:4, 105:3-4, 119:2, 119:10, 119:58; Proverbs 8:17; Isaiah 45:19, 55:6; Jeremiah 29:11-13; Hosea 5:15, 10:12; Amos 5:4-6; Zephaniah 2:3, Zechariah 8:12; Matthew 6:33, 7:7; Acts 17:27; Hebrews 11:6