My Views

My Views

On gun control.

70
My Views
Google Images

What kind of example do you expect to set for our children if we live in a country where we condemn any acts of violence against one another but yet we leave a gun controversy unchecked and allow it to worsen with time? With the recent shootings that have claimed the lives of so many innocent people, we cannot allow ourselves to sit on the sidelines while individuals fall prey to furious and hateful perpetrators that embark on a murderous rampage. We cannot let the media further divide us and keep us from getting along, otherwise the democracy that the great Thomas Jefferson and the like worked so hard to build would have all been for nothing. Let us not forget that we are first and foremost, Americans. We might come in different skin colors, eye colors, heights, physiques, and carry our own unique personalities, but we as Americans have proven that by standing as one we are able to overcome any barrier and bring forth progress that has ultimately changed and shaped our country for the better. This whole gun violence controversy has spiraled out of control and I am deeply ashamed that we have allowed this issue to escalate to such an extreme and allow it to intensify rather than take measures to reduce and vanquish the conflict altogether. We are the true catalysts for change in this society, not the presidents that we elect. It is time to not only feel inspired from the eloquent speeches on this topic made by the president, but to put forth a plan where we can keep future mass shootings from ever occurring. Despite the fact that we might align ourselves with different parties and have unique stances on this topic, one thing is certain: This gun control controversy must be solved and quickly. Now as a quick disclaimer, I would just like to say that I am by no means a political science expert but I most certainly have strong convictions about this topic as a person who cares deeply about social justice and creating a better world for our future generations. Regardless of whether you agree with what I have to say or not, I would like to share my own personal views on gun control and how I believe that we can solve this problem once and for all.

To be quite honest, I don’t believe that citizens really need to carry guns. Most of us do not willingly place ourselves in dangerous situations the same way that law enforcement does. After all it is the occupation of police officers to maintain social justice and order, therefore if you are concerned about your safety and perhaps the safety of your family and children, then maybe you should consider moving to a town where there are low crime rates. Now I am well aware that bad events will probably still occur every now and then, but if your town does not have a history of large scale crimes which happen periodically, then you won’t have to live your life in constant fear and thus the possession of a gun will not be necessary. I would also like to point out that there are several countries that have made it exceedingly difficult for people to purchase such weapons thus helping to lower crime and enabling their citizens to feel safer as a result. Keeping that in mind, for those of you who are gun advocates, while I cannot keep you from exercising your right to own a gun, what I can do is provide some insight into what I believe is the best way to put far fewer people at risk through some regulations.

I know that criminals will still find methods to purchase guns on the black market, but that doesn’t mean we can’t find a way to make it harder for criminals to obtain access to such assault weapons. We must find a way to monitor the black market so that we can crack down on such illegal activities to better prevent any massive incident from happening. I also believe that the best way to ensure that no average citizen creates further danger or harm to anyone is through requiring everyone wishing to acquire the possession of a gun to take a background and psychological check to ensure that they will not jeopardize any person’s life and that they have no history of engaging in petty or serious crime. Now I know that I am no means an expert on guns especially since I have never handled or held a gun in my life and don’t intend on doing so, which is why it is so important that we collaborate with one another to find a solution that can ensure that every person living in this country and in the world is guaranteed the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Our country has proved to be quite resilient from our ability to take a stand as one powerful force for good to combat anything and anyone who poses as a threat to us and grow strong from the blows that we have taken. I truly believe that if our country makes this gun issue our number one policy then we can guarantee that the land of the free and the home of the brave can eventually welcome future generations into a world where violence and destruction no longer consumes the societies of the globe and humanity as a whole.