What Christmas Means To Me As A Catholic

It's more than just boughs of Holly.

55
Wikimedia

Christmas is the one day out of the year I can truly come to terms with my religion. As a Catholic, I believe in God and that everything I do is all because of Him. But sometimes I take that for granted.

I don't go to church every week or pray every single day. Sometimes I curse His name. There are days I get mad that things aren't going well.Between my classes, socializing with peers, and just adulting in general, I oftentimes lose sight of what's really important to me.

This was especially prevalent in eighth grade. My grandmother began ailing and eventually passed away. Being the first true loss I ever really experienced, I didn't know what to feel.

I questioned God for taking her away from me when her presence alone could brighten my day. At times I lost motivation to go on with my life as it felt empty. The farther I strayed, the stronger God's presence was.

However, Christmas without her is hard. But then I reflect on the story of Christmas and how the Virgin Mary was denied a place to deliver Jesus. How she and Joseph were subjected to a manger lacking a bed. The three kings and shepherds coming to their aid.

That's what Catholicism and Christianity mean to me. Coming to each other's side in times need. Overlooking our differences to spread love and joy.

Also, Christmas reminds me that although there is loss and pain, my family will always be there for me through thick and thin. The holidays are a time to celebrate the memories of those who left us. Christmastime is cold and full of presents, but the true gift for me is knowing that Christ is still very much alive in Christmas.