My Top 10 Musical Theatre Dream Roles

My Top 10 Musical Theatre Dream Roles

"But if you think it, want it, dream it, then it's real."

407
My Top 10 Musical Theatre Dream Roles
Palm Beach Illustrated

I have wanted to be an actress since I was maybe 9 or 10 years old. I told my parents when I was 11 and made a little speech about it. Instantly, the academic in me decided to become as thoroughly informed about musical theatre of the past and present. This, of course, gave me many, many, many dream roles, so this is just a small list of many.

1. Mary Flynn in Merrily We Roll Along: I saw this show when I was 5. I did not understand it at all then, but now it's one of my favorites. While I think I'd actually, most likely be pigeon-holed to play Carnegie or Beth (the other two female characters) this girl has always stuck out to me. Plus, I've been belting out her fast-paced, insanely wordy "Now You Know" since I was 8, so...if anyone needs a Mary Flynn...I GOT YOUR BACK!

2. Nellie Forbush in South Pacific: Okay, so here's my two cents on this- basically, a lot of people really dislike South Pacific for some reason. It's really long and really serious. I get it, but it's also really beautiful and powerful. Also, I am of the mind that if we gingers are going to be stereotyped as 'sassy' and 'feisty' then most 'sassy' and 'feisty' leading ladies should be redheads...just sayin'.

3. Anna Leonowens in The King and I: I cannot even begin to tell you how much I love this show. It might be my favorite musical (tied with the next dream role's show). This show is so moving and gorgeously written. I've basically looked like a Victorian woman since I was 4 years old, so clearly this was meant to be. Also, she's a redhead.

(Point made.)

4. Mother in Ragtime: This is a shared dream role between me and my momma, but it's just so perfectly written. My goodness, I want to play this now. And when I'm older. Just forever. I love this role. "Back to Before" has been in my book since 2010, that's how seriously we're talking here.

5. Maria in The Sound of Music: So, in case you didn't know, my parents met during a production of The Sound of Music where my mom played Maria and my dad played Captain Von Trapp. While my parents have now been married for 25 years and I find it very inspiring, I don't want to be in this show to live out that magical fairy tale. I want to be in this show because it's maybe my favorite movie musical of all time, I love working with kids, and also, I love this score. SOMEONE PLEASE LET ME PLAY THIS PART.

6. The Baker's Wife in Into the Woods: This is one of the most beautifully and fully written women for the stage. The Baker's Wife is wise, the voice of reason, and has a very moving ending. I adore this role and want to play it so badly. Also, Emily Blunt was my favorite part of the film version and Joanna Gleason is one of the greatest women of all time. 'Nuf said.

7. Lucille Frank in Parade: I was lucky enough to actually play this role when I was 15. I was way too young and way too emotional, but it still remains a very fond and marvelous memory. This is such a richly written piece with gorgeous music (some great work for belt/mixers in here, ladies) and it's just so tragic. I would love to do it again.

8. Miss Alice Nutting/Edwin Drood in The Mystery of Edwin Drood: First of all, this musical is highly underrated and is just brilliant. In this metatheatrical musical, the 'performers' of the Music Hall Royale play the characters in a musical version of Charles Dickens' final, unfinished novel of the same name. Because it is unfinished, however, the audience gets to vote on the ending. Isn't that awesome?!?!? Miss Alice Nutting plays the title role with some of the biggest and best belting ever created for a beltress on the Great White Way. I am a fan.

9. Carrie Pipperidge in Carousel: This is another dream role from another Rodgers and Hammerstein show. I love the dorky friend character represented by Carrie in this show. She's precious and the song "Mister Snow" has sat in my book for many years. Plus, this musical is yet another deeply moving surprise from R&H.

10. The Narrator in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat: My momma played this role when I was little. I learned ALL and I do mean ALL of the lyrics. I still know them. I am prepared. This is such a fun score and requires some powerful belting that would be such a great challenge.

Real Quick Note: This is an actual list of roles I am ready to play. Please consider me prepared at any time.