My Top 15 Songs Of October

My Top 15 Songs Of October

I looooove these songs and here's why:

37
My Top 15 Songs Of October
Olivia Albert

Every month, I make a playlist to document which songs I am loving that month. Check out some of the highlights from my October playlist!

Donna Missal - You Burned Me

When I say I've had this song on repeat, I mean I've actively looped this song into my headphones with no interruptions. I heard Missal for the first time last year, and her voice instantly hooked me. She has this amazing tone quality that is raw and pleading and commands your attention. "You Burned Me" holds true to this style, but is more vulnerable than previous tracks. Missal labeled it as a fresh start, one in which she will start to make decisions for herself.

Empress Of - How Do You Do It

I first heard of Empress Of last month when she opened for Maggie Rogers in Columbus. I was immediately drawn to the complexity of her music, despite the very minimal setup. "How Do You Do It" breaks from her typical synthpop tunes as a powerful house bop that may or may not be the main feature of all my solo dance parties.

Charlie Burg - Instead of My Room

A new friend shared this song with me and I am loooooving it. "Instead of My Room" is whimsical and amiable. I can imagine the exact environment it was recorded in: a bedroom packed with equipment and people jamming out without a care. It meshes impressive instrumentation, airy vocals, and witty ad-libs to make the perfect track.

Talking Heads - Burning Down the House

Talking Heads are always a fan favorite. "Burning Down the House" made the cut simply because it came up on my Spotify radio, reminding me how much I love this song. It's a classic feel-good song and the mix of sounds within the track make it hard not to love.

Harry Styles - Lights Up

You probably could've expected this. Harry Styles just released new music after a 2-year hiatus and no one can shut up about it. Especially me. "Lights Up" has a nice floaty vibe to it, contrasted with a vampy bridge backed by a chorus of voices. Oh, and the music video is unbelievable.

Ohmme - Icon

I found this one off of Spotify radio. I love the droning of the lyrics and the guitar, yet it does not turn whiny. "Icon" gets stuck in your head instantly but in a good way.

FINNEAS - I Don't Miss You At All

I've been listening to FINNEAS here and there for a while now, but it wasn't until "I Don't Miss You At All" that I really dove into his music. I am a sucker for good track looping, and FINNEAS accomplishes that and so much more. "I Don't Miss You At All" has this strange sort of coffeehouse vibe, but is backed by heavy electronic production. It executes the two sides of losing someone: pretending like you do not miss them and the reality of everything reminding you of them.

Lawrence - Casualty

I've been hooked on Lawrence lately. I first heard them this summer when a coworker put them on during a closing shift. I listened to them here and there but fell in love after seeing a video of them crafting this song with Jon Bellion. "Casualty" has this amazing duality of light, playful piano chords and harmonies and the booming of the main vocalist and the bass drum. There's also a touch of Bellion in there with the modulated vocals as a backing track.

Lake Street Dive - Baby Don't Leave Me Alone With My Thoughts

Lake Street Dive will probably be on my monthly Spotify playlists forever. They never fail to amaze me with their old-school, big band sound. Also, the main vocalist's voice and tone quality is one I will be envious of until the day I die. I love the bass on "Baby Don't Leave Me Alone With My Thoughts." It drives the song, especially through its many seemingly disconnected sections.

Wallows - Scrawny

Wallows do a great job at juxtaposing a weighted message with light and upbeat music with this track. "Scrawny" preaches being yourself despite anxieties and insecurities. The electric guitar and drums give so much energy to this tune about combatting self-image issues.

Sure Sure - Warm Animal

This song has KILLER instrumentation. The percussion at the beginning is simple, but sets the tone perfectly for this beachy track. Then, it turns groovier with the introduction of bass and electric guitars. The chorus features light, airy harmonies, taking me back to the 1960s. "Warm Animal" is kind of all over the place, but is still somehow so cohesive.

Lonely God - Marlboro Nights

I included this song because it's been stuck in my head since I heard it. The drums are insistent and the lyrics are so simple. "Marlboro Nights" is just super catchy and definitely a feel-good song.

Ben Platt - River

The first time I heard this song, I cried like I never have for a song. Let alone, a cover of a song. Ben Platt's cover of Joni Mitchell's "River" is heartbreaking and breathtaking. The vocal gymnastics this man accomplishes is unbelievable.

The Temptations - I Can't Get Next To You

The Temptations always satisfy my not-so-guilty pleasure of funk music and sweet, buttery vocals. I can never get enough of the infectious spirit heard through their music. "I Can't Get Next To You" is so full of life and capitalizes on each of the member's unique voices.

Kim Wilde - Kids In America

With the release of new music from Harry Styles, memories of One Direction began to resurface. And so did this song. This track first came on my radar when One Direction covered it on The X-Factor. "Kids in America" possesses this awesome sci-fi theme, something very common in the 80s. This song never fails to make me dance, even if it's just in my seat.