My Top 6 Albums Of 2016

My Top 6 Albums Of 2016

These albums set the tone for most, if not all of 2016

17
My Top 6 Albums Of 2016
Emma Darvick

Ah, 2016: The year of great music, controversy, political upsets, and the loss of tons of celebrities. There were the amazing, highly anticipated albums, and there were albums that missed the mark. Even a few surprise albums dropped (now called "The Beyoncé Effect"). Nonetheless, this was yet another great year in music, and here are some of my favorite albums of 2016.

6. Frank Ocean - Blonde

Following his debut album, 2012's Channel Orange, Frank Ocean went almost radio silent. Although he did a few features and wrote a lot of songs, his fans wanted more. Then, there were a series of cryptic messages that he put out that many had wondered whether or not he was really dropping an album; not to mention that he kept teasing fans with anticipated release dates, not only to drop Blonde, but also release a visual album, entitled Endless, was amazing. Although it was no Channel Orange, Frank kept this sophomore project a little more subtle and mellow. Plus, there were features and song credits from some of your faves and legends. If you want a full rundown on Blonde, checkout my article that gives you a bit more insight, and more.

Favorite songs from the album: Ivy; Pink + White; Close To You; and, White Ferrari.

5. J. Cole - 4 Your Eyez Only

J. Cole's fourth studio album couldn't have arrived at a better time. The album was announced along with the release of a documentary of the same name available to watch for free on Tidal. Like its predecessor, 2014 Forest Hills Drive, the 31-year-old rapper again took the route of no features. As a result, 4 Your Eyez Only is now his fourth #1 album, and debuted at #1 on the Billboard 200 chart. This time around, we see Cole becoming slightly more cryptic in storytelling. However, the album received some controversy in regards to the song "False Prophets", specifically about controversial rapper, Kanye West. Although what should be noted is that some of 4 Your Eyez Only was recorded over the summer of 2016, and just happened to be released right after West cancelled the remainder of the North American leg of his Saint Pablo Tour (he later cancelled the European leg as well). This is a project that should not go unnoticed. The album is definitely worth the while, and tells a story not of Cole, but based on a friend of his. The 10-track album also touches on subjects that affected the country over the course of 2016. So when you can, sit back, relax, and get familiar with J. Cole's latest work.

Favorite songs from the album: Immortal, Deja Vu, Change, Neighbors, Foldin' Clothes

4. A Tribe Called Quest - We Got It From Here... Thank You 4 Your service

For the first time in 18 years, rap veteran group A Tribe Called Quest released this remarkable Hip-Hop gem. We Got From Here... Thank You 4 Your service is an album that many never thought would ever happen. Following the reconciliation of childhood friends, frontman Q-Tip and the late Phife Dawg, the group began performing together again. But, for the first time since their debut album, The Low End Theory, all four original members (Q-Tip, Phife Dawg, Jarobi White and Ali Shaheed Muhammad) are present on the album. This is their first album since their 1998 breakup following the album, The Love Movement. This album is broken down into two volumes (eight songs apiece), and contains features from longtime collaborator and fellow rap veteran Busta Rhymes, Andre 3000, and of one of the hottest rappers out now, Kendrick Lamar. The album also features vocals from the amazingly talented Marshia Ambrosious. ATCQ performed songs from the album on Saturday Night Live, which was hosted by actor and comedian, Dave Chappelle. Although a bittersweet performance, as they were missing Phife Dawg, who passed away back in March following complications from diabetes. If you haven't had a chance to check it out, I highly recommend doing so, as it the album is both parts nostalgic of ATCQ and reminiscent of Black America, 2016.

Favorite songs from the album: Volume 1: The Space Program, Dis Generation, Melatonin, Enough

Volume 2: Mobius, Black Spasmodic, Conrad Tokyo, Ego, The Donald

3. Beyoncé - Lemonade

Now this was a very hard decision to make. Beyoncé announced to the world that her sixth album would be released as a visual project, available to watch on HBO. In fact, once both the visual and the standard album dropped, it was only available to watch on Tidal. Interestingly enough, Lemonade was the first music editorial/breakdown piece I ever wrote, so adding this to my list was a given (plus the fact that I had roughly eight and a half pages of cliff notes about the visual alone. Feel free to check it out here). Lemonade was also Beyoncé's sixth #1 album, meaning every single project she dropped has gone straight to the top. But can you blame her? The work ethic alone is incredible, and only further solidifies her talent and relatability to subjects that many know all too well. The storytelling along with the messages portrayed in the visual makes for arguably one of the best albums to come out this year.

Favorite songs from the album: Hold Up, Don't Hurt Yourself, 6 Inch, Daddy's Lessons, Sandcastles, Freedom, Formation.

2. Chance The Rapper - Coloring Book

Chance. Chance. CHANCE! From 2012's 10 Day, to 2013's Acid Rap mixtape debut until now, Chance The Rapper has changed the game in such a short amount of time. From exhibiting everything #BlackBoyJoy (which can be seen here), to having the Grammy now consider streaming albums for nominations. Speaking of nominations, he's up for eight, including Best Rap Album and Best New Artist. Coloring Book has made history as the very first streaming-only album (actually, it's a mixtape -- but still, an amazing feat) to be considered for the Grammy's. It's also the first album to chart on the Billboard 200 solely on streams. Plus he's one of the most sought-after artists to work with. Take that and add his quirky, yet animated persona, and you can see why the 23-year-old Chi-town native is getting the recognition he deserves. Chance's third mixtape takes you on a ride through the vibrant, eclectic mind that is Chance The Rapper. From refusing to sign with a major label, to his beliefs, even down to social consciousness, Coloring Book is for everyone and anyone with a listening ear. In the meantime, Chance The Rapper is currently working on his studio album debut, but no rush though -- as he singlehandedly proved that 2016 was truly his year (and a well deserved one at that).

Favorite songs from the album: All We Got, No Problem, Summer Friends, Same Drugs, Juke Jam, All Night.

1. Solange - A Seat At The Table

My number one pick for 2016 is, you guessed it: Solange's latest work, A Seat At The Table. This third album exudes nothing but positivity, consciousness, and black girl magic galore. A Seat At The Table was exactly what 2016 needed, especially with the tragic events that took place this year (see: Korryn Gaines, Alton Sterling, Delrawn Smith, Philando Castile, etc.). What stood out to me in particular were the clips from homemade movies of her parents, Tina Knowles-Lawson and Mathew Knowles, and the interview clips from the one and only Master P. In these clips you will hear talks about racism, starting up a black business, and everything in-between. Another amazing feat, Solange and sister Beyoncé are the first and only siblings to both have number one albums charting in the same year. But here, Solange shines on her own (as she always has), and even had husband, Alan Ferguson direct some of the visuals for the album. In short, A Seat At The Table is definitely an album worth listening to, and is also a well orchestrated, relatable one at that. For my review of A Seat At The Table, take a look here; for the Saturday Night Live performance, click here.

Favorite songs from the album: Weary, Cranes in the Sky, Mad, Don't Touch My Hair, Where Do We Go, F.U.B.U., Borderline (An Ode To Self Care), Interlude: I Got So Much Magic, You Can Have It.

Honorable Mentions:

Childish Gambino - Awaken, My Love!

Rihanna - ANTI

Bruno Mars - 24K

Travi$ Scott - Birds In The Trap Sing McKnight

DJ Khaled - Major Key

ScHoolboy Q - Blank Face LP