Lemonade: A Visual Guide & Breakdown

Lemonade: A Visual Guide & Breakdown

A helpful guide to help decipher what Lemonade is actually supposed to mean

208
Lemonade: A Visual Guide & Breakdown
Billboard

Last weekend, Beyoncé released her sixth studio album, Lemonade. A few days prior to its April 23 premiere on HBO, she revealed on her Instagram details that not only was it an album, but it would also be her second that includes visuals (the first being her self-titled fifth album, released back in 2013). Love her or hate her, you have to admit that both she and her management team are marketing geniuses. But what exactly are people seeing in the visuals paired with Lemonade? Some speculate marital issues with husband Jay-Z, others say that it's all just a publicity stunt. Either way, Lemonade is getting a lot of buzz. At first it was only exclusively streaming on Tidal, which is in fact owned by Jay-Z, but is now available on iTunes (album only). But what is exactly the message that Beyoncé is trying to get across?

Lemonade is broken down into 11 stages of dealing with the grief, pains and the eventual healing from the infidelities by a significant other. The stages are: Intuition, Denial, Anger, Apathy, Emptiness, Accountability, Reformation, Forgiveness, Resurrection, Hope and Redemption. These in its own can resonate with anyone who has ever experienced cheating in a relationship, or even marriage. Some even end up at a crossroad of either staying or leaving. Nonetheless, the messages that are conveyed in Lemonade speak volumes.

The spoken word pieces that Beyoncé recited throughout Lemonade are from For Women Who Are Difficult to Love, written by poet Warsan Shire. Born in Kenya to Somali parents, Shire and her family left for London where she was raised. Although spending most of her life in England, Shire felt as though she never truly belonged and yearned for a place to call 'home.' Nonetheless she found a voice in poetry and in 2011, published Teaching My Mother How to Give Birth: A collection of poems based on real life experiences. Although unclear on how much of it relates to her personal life, it doesn't take away from the fact that her works are nothing short of remarkable. It's the storytelling of a first-generation woman looking for solace as a foreigner in a foreign land. Not to mention the challenges of having language barriers and culture clashing with parents who hold their traditional values near and dear to their hearts. In 2014, Shire was awarded as the Young Poet Laureate of London, the city's first to hold such title.

A complete 180 from what started it all musically between Beyoncé and Jay-Z, which was "'03 Bonnie and Clyde" off of Jay-Z's The Blueprint 2, Lemonade begins with "Pray You Can't Catch Me." The song talks about the loss of what once was considered a true love and romance. There are "whispers" of infidelity and hopes that "he" catches her listening. Perhaps to a phone call, or a conversation confirming one of her biggest fears: the love of her life with another woman. She questions his commitment and resorts to demanding that she gets answers. This is also where the spoken word begins. "... In the tradition of men in my blood, you come home at 3am, and lie to me. What are you hiding? The past and the future merge to meet us here. What luck, what a ******* curse..." In other words, he arrives home late in similar pattern of other men in her life (father, etc.), or even other men that she's encountered. It is also seen that although she has suspicions, she knows that he's lying. Will she finally get the truth that she yearns for? Only time will tell.

There has also been speculation of who it was Jay-Z possibly had an affair with. In the fourth song Sorry, Beyoncé ends the song off with "He only want me when I'm not there, You better call Becky with the good hair." Rumors surfaced on who "Becky" may be, as designer Rachel Roy put in a now deleted Instagram post "Good hair, don't care, but we will take good lighting for selfies, or self truths, always. Live in the light #nodramaqueens." It sent the Beyhive in such a frenzy that she had to make that account private. It should also be noted that Roy is also the ex-wife of Dame Dash, former business partner and friend of Jay-Z. She (Roy) then took to her Twitter to dispel all rumors of her being the alleged "Becky." There was also a growing wonder if "Becky" was actually Roc Nation artist Rita Ora, but she too has since shut down the rumors.

It's also touched on in "Hold Up," where the resentment of poor treatment from a significant other is what remains evident. The refusal to see the truth for what it is, optioning to live a lie constructed only for one to not be devastated by reality is what ultimately breaks down one's sanity. There are prevalent thoughts of uncertainty and worthlessness. There are wonders of what if no one ever knew who he (Jay-Z? *emoji side-eye*) was, or if he ever made a name for himself? And that he'd still be out in the streets, or never having her "the baddest woman in the game." She tells that those who love him now wouldn't do so then. And that despite everything, they were made for each other and she'd still be there for him. Even though she is angered and chooses to display it by destroying cars and other properties.

She even quips with "...What a wicked way to treat the girl that loves you. Hold Up, they don't love you like I love you. Slow down, they don't love you like I love you."

Note: NEVER anger Beyoncé

Despite never knowing who Becky actually is, you can't deny that it gives a lot of context to Solange going off on Jay-Z during the now-infamous elevator incident at the 2014 Met Gala.

As the visual album plays on, we begin to see different sides of Beyoncé. The most prevalent side being vulnerable. Here she displays emotions of not just an artist, but as a grown woman who is dealing with the reality of infidelity in a marriage. However, that is not just what Lemonade consists of.

One can't deny however, that the visuals that go along with Lemonade are nothing short of vibrant, powerful and amazing. The context displayed is some of what many can relate to, but are too afraid to speak on. Like in the song "Don't Hurt Yourself," audio from the "Who Taught You to Hate Yourself?" speech, originally given on May 5, 1962 by Malcolm X echoes a statement that was relevant both then and now: "The most disrespected person in America, is the black woman. The most unprotected person in America, is the black woman. The most neglected person in America, is the black woman..." Beyoncé also adds that if you hurt and play her, you're really only hurting and playing yourself. She then warns him "This is your final warning. You know I give you life. If you try this **** again, you gon' lose your wife," and proceeds to throw a wedding band to the floor.

In addition, she also speaks on becoming so obsessed, that she herself wants to become the other woman. "If it's what you truly want, I can wear her skin...over mine. Her hair, over mine. Her hands, as gloves. Her teeth, as confetti. Her scalp, a cap. Her sternum, my bedazzled cane...You and your perfect girl..." An unhealthy desire to become someone other than yourself to please your lover runs rampant not only in this spoken piece, but with many people in their everyday lives.

Now one thing that should be acknowledged about Lemonade is that fact that there is homage paid to afro-spiritualism. If you watch the visuals, you'll notice that there are black women of all shades wearing every kind of hairstyle you can imagine. From afros, to braids to hair extensions, even the traditional face painting. In fact, there are glimpses of traditions from the Ifa religion, and a water ritual. Beyoncé also touched on the subject of generational curses and how they can be broken. In many visual aspects, Lemonade is unapologetically black. Did I also mention that in the music video for "Love Drought," there are influences of the 1991 film, Daughters of the Dust directed by Julie Dash? As well as an interpretation of what happened at the Igbo Landing? For those unaware, the Igbo Landing was where a mass suicide of Igbo slaves took place at St. Simons Island, Georgia in 1803. As history tells, a group of Igbo slaves rebelled and took control of a slave ship, and anchored it on the island. Rather than give up and become submissive to slavery, they proceeded to march into the water singing, ultimately drowning themselves. The story in turn became a legend, that the Gullah people (descendants of the Igbo and others who were enslaved in that particular area) who still live near that area tell to this day.

Another thing about Lemonade is that there are many cameos and scenes of different black women both young and old, from different walks of life. Zendaya, Amandla Steinberg, Quvenzhané Wallis, Ayesha Curry, even daughter Blue Ivy and mother Tina Knowles-Lawson plus more. There is also a video of Jay-Z's grandmother Hattie at her 90th birthday celebration, giving a speech. The notable statement being "I was given lemons so I made lemonade." There were also the mothers of Trayvon Martin (Sybrina Fulton), Michael Brown (Lesley McSpadden) and Eric Garner (Gwen Carr), which was also a nod to the police brutality that is unfortunately rampant in America. These are key aspects in the song "Freedom," which features Kendrick Lamar. The chorus reads "Freedom! Freedom! I can't move. Freedom, cut me loose! Freedom! Freedom! Where are you? Cause I need freedom too! I break chains all by myself, won't let my freedom rot in hell..." This in itself speaks volumes not only for those who have been afflicted by such, but to others who have paved the way for these rights during the Civil Rights era of the mid-20th century.

I almost forgot to mention Serena Williams being in "Sorry." Her as well as Beyoncé's outfits during those scenes were a nod to Williams receiving the title of Sports Illustrated's 2015 Sportsperson of the Year.

*ahem* YAAAASSSSSS

Finally, Lemonade is concluded with the first single off the album, Formation. The video, which takes place in New Orleans, Louisiana (where some of the Lemonade visuals were filmed). Here we see residents still reeling from Hurricane Katrina after a little over a decade. Not to mention audio clips from New Orleans Bounce artist Big Freedia and the late comedian, Messy Mya. Beyoncé urges women to 'get in formation,' as a means to unite with each other, and of course, slay. "I dream it, I work hard, I grind til I own it.." Meaning that if you really want something, work for it. No matter what it is, you keep working at it until that goal is achieved. And not to mention that Beyoncé loves her baby heir (Blue Ivy) in baby hair and afros. This was a jab at media outlets as well as others who criticized Blue Ivy's hair, saying that it shouldn't be as such. She also shouts out her heritage as her father Mathew Knowles is African-American, and her mother Tina Knowles-Lawson, is of Louisiana Creole descent. Overall, I give Lemonade a 10/10 for visuals, relatability and overall dopeness.

In the end, I hope that my 8 pages worth of notes and I gave you a little more insight on Beyoncé's sixth studio album. Despite it's criticism, Lemonade debuted at #1 on the Billboard 200. This makes Beyoncé the only artist to have her first six albums reach #1 within its debut week. You can hate on Beyoncé, Jay-Z and Lemonade all you want, but the reality is that it still has you talking. And as she says in Formation, "You know you that ***** when you cause all this conversation, always stay gracious best revenge is your paper..."

Oh and P.S., when Beyoncé said she had "hot sauce in her bag", she actually meant her bat. Not the actual thing.