My Top 5 Gamecube Games

My Top 5 Gamecube Games

Admit it, the Gamecube was one of the best consoles of the 2000s.

87
My Top 5 Gamecube Games
Assembler Games

The Gamecube was my first game console and arguably the best I've ever owned. No other console—not a Gameboy, a Playstation, a Wii, Xbox, etc.—carries the memories of my childhood quite like the Gamecube does.

To pay my respects, and to take a trip down memory lane, I'd like to talk about some of my favorite Gamecube games. Some you may find to be classics, others maybe new to you, but take my word for it: they are the highlight of my young gamer heart.

So without further ado, my top 5 Gamecube games:

5. Super Monkey Ball

To those who recognize this game, kudos to you! To those who don't, it's a real treat. This game, in my opinion, blows the concept of Mario Party out of the water. To put it simply, you're a monkey. In a ball. Navigating some difficult courses in a race against time. Sounds fun, right?

Courses could be as easy as this:

Or as hard as this:

Where you have next to nothing to balance on. And your speed is ridiculous to control. And time is against you. The game is frustrating, but totally worth it. The ultimate party game and a beloved childhood favorite.

4. Animal Crossing

You should all recognize this title. If not, shame on you (have you been living under a rock?). In my opinion the Gamecube version is the best—the framework of the entire franchise. No other game compares to the original. No shiny new elements to catch your eye, just the overall idea and story.

I remember doing all that I could to make my house at least two stories, and to get rid of the dreaded bugs crawling around. I collected all the decor I could carry to create my dream home. I made friends—and enemies, Mr. Resetti—in this wonderful RPG that's so dear to my heart.

Never will I feel as annoyed when I catch a sea bass or forget to save as I have playing this game. If you know the game, you'll catch on to what I just said. If you don't, you've just been spared.

Definitely a childhood favorite, though. Hands down.

3. Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2

This one might not be as striking for some of you, but it holds a special place in my gaming heart. This game was a family affair—one of the only games I've played with my Dad and my brother. Which, considering the age gap, there's something to be said about that. My brother and I are 11 years apart and my dad isn't a fan of video games, so this really is an accomplishment

It's best to play this game with the cops on hard, otherwise it's pointless. Dodging cops with no restraints all the while racing to beat your opponent—what more could you ask for? All the commotion and hype this brought to my family is too hard to pass up; it's obviously a childhood favorite, through and through.

2. Mario Kart: Double Dash

How could I possibly leave this one off my list? This one is undeniably a classic. Say what you will about Mario Kart for the Wii, but this original and its tracks mean much more to me than any new, shiny version.

With the potential to both ruin and forge friendships, this game was a legend for its time. I don't think you could walk up to someone with a Gamecube and have them tell you they don't/didn't have this game.

Personally, this was the go-to game when I was with friends. So many memories are tucked into the case jacket of this game, and it saddens me to think that I lost it years ago. I would give anything to have this classic back on my shelf. Anything, for nostalgia's sake.

1. Super Mario Sunshine

If you asked me what my favorite video game of all time is, this would be my answer. I wouldn't even hesitate. Super Mario Sunshine is the ultimate platform game with stages, puzzles, and environments like no other game of its time. It's critically acclaimed by game reviewers, called the best Mario game to date and given nearly all perfect scores. It's a gaming legend.

To me, it's even more than that. I remember the countless hours I spent with friends unlocking new stages, solving puzzles, and collecting shine sprites to beat the game. We assigned each other specialties, noting which levels we could do when others couldn't. We fought and bonded over this game. Some may say I'm being dramatic, but others will agree with me. This is the game of my childhood.

Games can have an impact. They forge friendships, shape minds, challenge you, and create a fun experience like no other. I can honestly say these games play a part in who I am today, and to those who don't believe that: you're wrong. These games meant a lot to me, and they still do. I still play these games. And they're just as enjoyable now as they were back when the Gamecube was in its prime. That's a fact.

So I hope I struck a chord of nostalgia for some of you. These games, as I've repeated relentlessly, are the highlight of my gaming career (if you want to call it that). They carry a lot of sentimental value. I can mention any one of these games to my friends and we could go on for hours talking about them.

Games are more than their face value, after all. It's the memories you make with them that make the experience worthwhile. Remember that.