Thoughts On The Refugee Team

Thoughts On The Refugee Team

Mother Theresa said it best when she said, "If you judge people, you have no time to love them."

5
Thoughts On The Refugee Team
NBCNews.com

Just like the rest of the United States (and the world, as a matter of fact), patriotism hits me like a rock when it is time for the world-renowned Olympics to begin once again. Each individual fighting for the name of their homeland stamped on their apparel and the name that has been stamped on their hearts since the day they were born. Years and years of immense training all accumulating to one opportunity on the world's biggest stage, a moment in time that athletes of all generations envy and dream of.

However, during the 2016 Olympics, there are 10 individuals who are unable to fight for the gold in honor of their homelands of Syria, South Sudan, Ethiopia and the Democratic Republic of Congo. Torn from their homes, families and ordinary lives to survive in a world full of terror and the unknown. Despite these struggles that I cannot fathom, they continue to battle for another day, another chance at life. In order to honor these individuals and to bring awareness and support to all refugees across the globe, these 10 Olympians will come together to form their own team underneath the Olympic flag.

This past spring, I took a trip to London, Paris, and Amsterdam for a short study abroad opportunity with a Criminal Justice and Psychology focus. I was expecting Amsterdam to be the least exciting part of the trip. My sincerest apologies to the Dutch for this awful preconceived notion. However, I was in for an enlightening, unforgettable experience. While in the Netherlands, we took a day trip out to the Hague, which is about an hour north of Amsterdam itself, next to the coast. There we toured a museum known as the Humanity House. The Humanity House is dedicated to raising awareness and conversation about humanitarian ideologies in the hopes of instilling peace and freedom across the globe. During our tour, the exhibit had put us in the position of living in an area that has been greatly affected by a disaster, caused by natural and/or human means.

Walking through this exhibit was emotional beyond belief. We were given a VISA with our name on it and then proceeded to walk through a staged house that had been torn apart and abandoned. The Humanity House used several visual and audio aids to help depict the world in which you had no value or worth. At one point, a friend and I walked into a deserted room that had a mirror up against the wall. But when you look into the mirror, you cannot find your reflection. I remember being terrified at this point because it then hit me how these refugees must feel. You feel lost, abandoned, unwanted and most of all, invisible to the place you once called home.

Before visiting the Humanity House, I had assumptions about the people fleeing these war zones. We can't possibly let them into our country, they will risk our safety. They will put our people and children in danger. They are all a part of ISIS, and they want us Americans dead. I get it. I understand. I thought those things as well. After experiencing, seeing, hearing, feeling and going on a journey that has opened my eyes, I cannot say I feel the same way. Yes, the United States is without a doubt a target for terrorism and hatred. The solution is not to shut our doors to those fleeing from countries who have been in despair (there may be tons of people fleeing America as the results are tallied for our presidential election this November). We must remember that the United States of America was built by foreigners. We are a nation of different cultures, ideas, religions and heritages.

I do believe that having a heightened sense of security and caution is necessary for the sake of Americans across our country. However, cutting off all connections and denying the importance of those seeking help is unethical and demoralizing to the human race. It is important to let go of preconceived notions and assumptions about the people who surround us. We need to become educated instead of getting offended. We need to become intercultural, not multicultural. We need to listen to others' stories and have conversations with those who differ from us. Mother Theresa said it best when she said, "If you judge people, you have no time to love them."

For more information about the Humanity House, please visit their website at https://www.humanityhouse.org/en/