Adjustments: What Happens After You Take That Leap?

Here are my thoughts on what it's like to go off to college and then go back home for break.
2

One aspect of my life that has always differed from that of some of my close friends is that I had lived in the same house in the same town for my entire life, never having left the country or even been on a plane. While I never felt left out because of my lack of experience with travelling and living in different places, I always longed to be able to truly relate to their fascinating stories of the differing cultures and atmospheres that they encountered. I had never had to figure out how to adjust to a completely new place, and always admired those who did and ended up being content. I figured that there would never be a better time to force myself to take a leap than when starting college and I can honestly say that I think that I am stronger and more comfortable with myself after having taken this risk. However, despite what it may feel like in that first August, you will come back to your hometown and think of your house as home once again.

I don't even know how to describe how great it is coming home and being with family after having started a whole other life in a new place. However, it really does bring into focus the feeling that time is always moving forward and there is no way to slow it down. Of course, there will be extensive questioning from family and friends about how you're enjoying your life in a new place. If you're like me, you've come up with some trademark phrases that you use most every time, just to have something coherent to say. This is because most of the feelings brought about by this huge change are almost impossible to put into words. Going back to college after a break is just as confusing as going home. You are often required to seek out things going on that will help you get back in the swing of things as opposed to being automatically included by your family. Doing that is an important life skill, no matter how difficult it can be sometimes.

Coming home for a break may be one of the largest adjustments that college students have to make, because you know that you will have to go back to college soon and are not letting yourself slip out of that life for the few weeks you're away. It is vitally important to find a balance between the two lives that college students live. Going back and forth between them is always going to require big-time adjustment, but being able to successfully bounce between communities is a skill that I have come to value and admire greatly.