My Test Scores Does Not Define Me

My Test Scores Does Not Define Me

Why does society care so much about one test score.

380
My Test Scores Does Not Define Me
Google Images

"In the end, test scores and grades are not the only factors"-Unknown

For as I can remember, schools have had an emphasis on having their students receive high scores on standardized tests and either the SAT or ACT test. They put pressure on not only the students but also the teachers to make sure the students are prepared enough. These tests have become the main focus of schools and less on actually teaching the students. If the students do not pass these tests then they cannot graduate from high school or get into a good college. It does not reflect the character or physical grades each student gets. Students spend months every year preparing for these tests instead of learning about things that will help them in the future. They are defined by their scores and it should not be this way because students are more than just a simple test score.

All students can learn and succeed, but not all on the same day, in the same way."-Unknown

Students should not have to worry about receiving a certain score on the SAT or ACT in order to gain multiple scholarships to attend college. Their GPA can play a factor into getting scholarships but not as much as getting good SAT or ACT score. Scholarships should come based on GPA and recommendation by teachers on their behalf.Why is it that schools and even the government itself put pressure on their students which cause them to have anxiety and be worried about taking these tests. Good test results are mainly for schools to brag about how well their students are doing. Colleges also appear higher if the students they accepted, have earned high scores on their SAT or ACT scores. These colleges can decide not to accept to a student who has high grades but not a good score on the SAT or ACT. That is not fair to the student who suffers from test anxiety who works hard to get good grades but does not get accept because of not a high SAT or ACT score.

"A student is more than a test score."-Unknown

I have personally struggled with reaching certain test score that is required to be in. I have to be in at last the 300 range to be considered passing but even then it is labeled as average. That word average does not do anything to build up my confidence in my ability but also other students. I have never been good at taking tests in general because I get nervous and experience test anxiety. I have felt like a failure many times because I have not passed these tests on the first try. I have been worried about if I will be allowed to graduate because I have not passed a certain test yet. Even in college, my SAT score still plays a factor into my future. It will decide if I get accepted into the education program at my school. My SAT score does not show whether or not I can be a good teacher. I should not be defined by one score. I work hard to do well in school and test scores should not be the only thing schools and people care about.