My Small Town Is Enough

My Small Town Is Enough

It will always be home.
23

"This town is too small for my dreams."

"I can't wait to leave this place."

“I’m better than this no-good town."

The truth is that most residents of a small, rural town have heard one of these three lines from a neighbor or a friend. They dream of big city living with a Starbucks and a mall around every block; skyscrapers and briefcases; suits and ties; Dolce and Gabbana; bubble tea and public transportation. This is the life for some people and that's OK, but to me, my small town will always be enough.

Towns that have more animals than people are typically described as "full of drama and politics." Yes, the whole town knows your family and your business. They know the car you drive and which house you live in. Everybody knows everybody and although that can have its consequences it undoubtedly has its upsides. The same people that know (or think they know) your every move are the same ones there for you when tragedy hits. When your grandma passes away unexpectedly or your child has been diagnosed with a serious disease, your small town becomes your backbone. They come together to support you when things go wrong because after all, they’ve known you since you were a little tot making mud pies in the front yard with nothing on but a diaper. The town I grew up in, and hope to raise my own kids in, helped me become who I am. Our one restaurant has THE BEST cheeseburgers and sweet tea. We may only have one red light, but there are dozens of back roads with even more memories. You can drive only five minutes down to your best friend’s house and still see a horse, dog, donkey, cow, or goat on the way. Friday night football is not an option, and we have more "game-watching parties" than we do birthday parties. Your school is rivals with the next closest one, whether you compete for band champion titles or football state championships. Growing up you hear so many names, and you can usually find a connection to the ones you don’t know (probably through your grandparents). For “fun” you'll probably find the same spots your parents went to when they were your age and you'll do the same things they did whether it be spray painting an old road or finding that field your dad told you about.

Sometimes nights can get boring, but if you make the best of it, it will be the best. Focusing on what good things your little community has accomplished or done for one another makes you realize it really is more than just a "hole in the wall." I will always want to travel and visit new places, but my town holds some of my best memories. Some call it too small, but I'll always call it home.

Cover Image Credit: https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=AwrB8pYz2VRY5QQAgRg2nIlQ?p=brighton+tn+images&ei=UTF-8&y=Search&fr=sfp&hsimp=yhs-001&hspart=rotz&imgsz=large&fr2=p%3As%2Cv%3Ai#id=32&iurl=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia-cache-ec0.pinimg.com%2F736x%2Fcf%2F58%2F1e%2Fcf581ecdb0f04f5543ccb74ef67dc6dc.jpg&action=click