Seasonal Affective Disorder Is Very Real And I Want To Spread Awareness Through My Experience

Some people's moods really do change with the weather.

4

Seasonal Affective disorder, also known as SAD, is a type of depression that occurs when the weather goes from warm to cold. This depression usually worsens around the darkest days of winter and affects millions of Americans every year, each case varying from the next. I believe that I am one of those Americans and I would like to shed some light on the subject.

Mental health is a very important and complicated aspect of life. There have been so many psychologists studying different parts of the brain and yet, it is still not completely understood. There are countless odd factors that can have an affect on one's mood, such as the weather, the environment, and even the moon. No matter what affects your mood, it's important to take care of it. I believe I have an aspect of Seasonal Affective Disorder because I notice my mood change when it gets colder and then the way I think begins to change. It really feels like the weather brings an emptiness with it.

The depression that sets in feels the same as any other depression. The feeling of being lost, sadness, tiredness, and everything else that comes with depression is happening and it feels hopeless to try to escape. But with every fall, there is a rise. Of course, the depression clears up once it begins getting warmer outside, but in the meantime, there are ways to help ease this feeling.

I am assuming the weather has such an affect on how I feel because I am an outdoorsy person. A few things that tend to help with my seasonal depression are:

• Taking advantage of warm days. Spend the warmer days of the winter outside. You could go for a hike, a walk, or even just sit outside and enjoy the sun.
  • Getting enough sleep. Getting enough sleep is extremely important when feeling down, it helps to boost your mood. Sleeping has a huge impact on mood so make sure to get plenty of sleep.
  • Taking care of myself. Give yourself a day off. Relax, make your favorite food, take a long shower, and remind yourself that it will be okay.
  • Talking to someone. The way I see it is that you can either be distracted by it or talk about it. Talk to someone you trust and let them know if you want advice or just a listening ear. It really helps to just say how you feel out loud. Sometimes it feels like that's all I have to do to not think about it anymore.
  • Staying busy. Although this is more of a distraction, it helps when you just want a break. Whether it's going to work, playing video games, or whatever you enjoy doing, do it. You deserve a break.

I remind myself that I am the only one who can pull myself out of this and that I am capable of doing so. I became my own cheerleader because I am the only one who will always be there. Lifting yourself up is not always an easy feat, but it's best to just work through it the best you can. Life can be hard, but it can also be good. Don't forget that there are amazing things to look forward to experiencing.