My Power, Your Power, Our Power

My Power, Your Power, Our Power

Harness it, Find it

26
My Power, Your Power, Our Power
Huffington Post

I think that if you have ever read anything else that I have written, it isn't much of a secret that I am a feminist. I am also a humanist. I believe that all human beings should be treated equally and I believe that everyone has their own unique power. We all have strengths and weaknesses and none of is should be expected to be the same or to live up to the same standards as our fellows.

This year, I decided to take a look at my own power and to embrace it. I am working harder at my job than I ever have at any job in my past. I am saving to take my son to Europe next year and I am already almost to my goal. I went and got my passport so that I can travel more freely (and honestly, so that I can flee the country if necessary because I am paying attention to the political climate in the world). I also purchased a gun and I am working on my aim as well as getting a concealed carry permit. I may be a liberal, but I want to be able to defend myself and my family. I want everything associated with being a strong, independent woman. I don't want to rely on anyone.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem asking for help when I need it. I will ask for people who can help babysit my kids when I go to work. If I need my boys picked up from school, I might ask for help there too. If my car breaks down, I may ask for a ride or help fixing it. But, I can promise that I will offer something in return. I can pay my own rent and I can take care of things on my own. I don't need to be rescued. I want to and I can stand on my own two feet. Outside of the day-to-day, I can make things happen in my life if I want them to. I want to learn sign language, so I am going to. I wanted to go to Europe, so I bought a ticket.

At the end of the day, I have no intention of only living half of a life. I want my kids to experience things, I want to experience things, and I need to make them happen. I want to be able to say, "Look at what I did, look at how I lived, and I have no one to thank for it beside myself." And then, someday, I want my kids to realize that they have endless power and endless potential and that they can make their lives happen as well. They just have to find the drive and the will. Anything they want to do can be accomplished with a little determination and a good community behind them.

I want the people around me, especially the women, to realize that their lives can be as purposeful, as fun, and as fulfilling as they imagine. They can include a man (or partner) or not, depending on what they want. But the important thing is that they can and they should. They just have to find their power.

Ask yourself: What am I good at? Where do I excel? What do I want from my life?

You might surprise yourself. You might find that you are more of a people person than you initially imagined. You might find that even though you have an education, you are happiest waiting tables. You might find that you want to start making your own bath and shower products or even that you don't really want to travel, but you want to get covered in tattoos. Your goals and your dreams are within reach and they might not come to you the same way as your neighbor's. You simply have to find, and harness, your power.