My Personal Mission

My Personal Mission

“In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’” Acts 20:35

42
My Personal Mission

Last fall, I had the opportunity to take a business class that incorporated an assignment about creating a personal mission statement. This assignment of creating a mission statement held an end goal of presenting each student’s own personality while also incorporating personal goals or aspirations. When I thought about what I wanted my statement to be, I decided that someday I want to be remembered as a driven woman who was always kind, caring, loving, and passionate about everything that she did. While deep in thought, I also realized that I hold a very strong belief in helping those who need it and working hard every day. Finally, after abundant overthinking and struggling with the assignment for hours on end, I was able to put together a cohesive statement that represents who I am and what I want my mission to be: To inspire through diligence and inner strength while laughing and loving along the way.

After I came up with my mission statement, I immediately started overthinking it. How does anybody "inspire through diligence and inner strength while laughing and loving along the way?" How would I live up to this great statement that I created? Why did I come up with a statement that will continually challenge me instead of simply describing myself? After struggling with not only the assignment but also with my end product, I stumbled along the verse Acts 20:35. The verse states, “In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’” Wow. I still cannot begin to describe how significant finding this little portion of magical words was to me.

After more reflection, I finally was able to tame my thoughts that were running wild, and I decided that this mission statement that I crafted might describe me after all, while also challenging me to become a better version of myself every single day. While realizing this, I also understood that this mission statement that I crafted might not affect me now, but it may be setting up my future goals as an aspiring teacher. I certainly can inspire others through diligence and inner strength while laughing and loving along the way, every single day. Through hard work and fortitude, I will be able to inspire my future students as a teacher, while making sure that I radiate happiness and an eternally caring attitude towards my students. My mission statement was not only a reflection of the person that I hope others see me as, but the person that I want to aspire to be every single day. By crafting a mission statement, I was not only to self-reflect, but I was also able to set a goal that I will be able to hold myself to without a doubt.

If you aren’t sure where you want to go in life, or what you may want to do during your time on Earth, sit down and reflect on yourself and your goals. Write a mission statement, and see where it might lead you. You never know where an assignment like this one may lead you to someday be.