My Opinion On Ed Sheeran's 'Divide'

My Opinion On Ed Sheeran's 'Divide'

Do your opinions differ from mine, or are we in agreement that this album is amazing?

137
My Opinion On Ed Sheeran's 'Divide'
Indpendent

Ed Sheeran dropped his latest album on the 2nd of March, and I can not even tell you the amount of times I have already listened to it. I could not have even imagined how truly incredible this track list would be. It's filled with 16 wonderfully done songs that I can not get enough of.

1. Eraser

First things first, Ed, what is your pain eraser? Because I can not get that question out of my head. Anyways, let's get on with this review. I think that this was an amazing song to have as track 1. He lets you know what has happened in the past and that things are different now:

"Welcome to the new show."

I don't know where you are headed next, either, but I do hope wherever it is that you won't need that eraser.

2. Castle On The Hill

I would like to just say before I start on the review for this song that I am still shook from his performance at the Brits this year. Stormzys addition to the song, him using Raii and Whitney Smith as back-up... everything was incredible. I need this audio in my life.

As far as the song itself goes, it makes you think of the place you used to call a castle. It is a walk down memory lane kind of song because it mentally puts you there. This song isn't going to go away anytime soon, and I tried not to sing along with any song while trying to do my review - I lost when I got to this one. And, finally, everyone has people in their lives like he talks about. I wouldn't ever trade my people for other ones because they helped shape me into the person I am, much like he talks about in this song.

3. Dive

I won't even try and hide the fact that I would be the person who would nonchalantely put this on a playlist, press shuffle while I'm with my significant other, and see what their reaction is to it. He sounds raw in this song, and that brings such a wonderful dynamic to the song. The chorus to this song is literally everything!

"And I've been known to give my all

and jumping in harder than

10,000 rocks on the lake."

Me too, Ed.

4. Shape Of You

So, he dove in for someone (pun-intended). I'm really lost on how the video ties into the song, and I don't think I will ever understand. I am, however, okay with being lost on it because this song makes up for it. I think it was a solid choice for a single regardless of not being in my top 3 songs of the album. I do love this song, and it's not one I would skip over. That being said, I don't think he has ever made a song I press skip on.

5. Perfect

This is a slower song, but it doesn't necessarily feel that way because of his vocals in it. I used to say "Thinking Out Loud" was the song to dance to at your wedding, but this is a solid choice as well. The love he sings about is the kind of love you want to have, even if you can't have it with him. This song is what the title says; it is perfect.

6. Galway Girl

I'm not sure how to explain this song. There is so much happening with it, but it works and doesn't make you feel overwhelmed. Not to mention, he had me sold once he brought up Jamie and Jack. The Irish in me is screaming on the inside when I play this song to go to Ireland and get in touch with my roots.

"Oh, I could have that voice playing on repeat for a week."

That is me with you.

7. Happier

Regardless of being a simple song, it is just as amazing as the rest. Nobody likes to see the person that was once theirs with someone else and to be happy. This song shows the side of the situation nobody really likes to talk about, but in a beautiful way.

8. New Man

I just want to say, I don't like a man like this new man. However, Ed's side of this is so real. In continuation from the last song, nobody wants to hear all about the new person. Also, everyone stalks on Instagram (don't even try and deny it, I see you) and everyone knows what happens when you like a post from 80+ weeks prior; things get awkward real quick. We all know, or are, a girl like this one. The one who changes who they are while trying to find the "one" but end up losing themselves in the process. I love this part:

"But you act so differently when you're with him, I know your lonely, please, remember you're still free, to make the choice and leave."

I feel like this is something that everyone at some point in their lives has or will need to hear. Ed, you are my Superman.

9. Hearts Don't Break Round Here

I know I said this about "Perfect," but this song is another great contender for a wedding dance song. Can I just get a medley of all three together? I love that the music and his vocals aren't in competition, that it's easy to focus on just his voice. This song needed that. Ed, you are making relationship goals with this album.

10. What Do I Know

I literally started dancing as soon as the first beat came through the speakers. This song couldn't have come out at a better time. It is definitely one of those songs that you need to look up the lyrics to because they are so important. It really is love, understanding, and positivity that you need to get through anything.

11. How Would You Feel

This song is a slow ballad type song (you know, those ones that Adele is amazing at dropping). His voice is so smooth in this song, and it makes you wish it was written about you even more. I am using this song as relationship goals for sure, because it all seems pretty spectacular.

12. Supermarket Flowers

I can't get through this song without shedding at least 1, or 100, tears. You feel all the emotion in this one song, and I had it on repeat for what seems like forever the first time hearing it. If we were keeping score this would be a 12/10 without a doubt.

"Oh I'm in pieces, it's tearing me up but I know a heart that's broke is a heart that's been loved."

If I could, I would have quoted the whole song, but I can't. These words get me every time, even just reading them though. #TheFeels.

13. Barcelona

This is one of his most up-tempo songs on the album. It made me ready to pack a bag, buy a ticket, and head to Barcelona. It's definitely a windows down, radio up kind of jam out song. Also, can we just take a minute to appreciate Ed speaking Spanish? I'm living for it.

14. Bibia Be Ye Ye

It seems like most of these songs take me somewhere else. I want to be sitting on an island with a pina colada in my hand and this playing through the radio. I feel like it's easy to relate to, and you would be lying if you said you've never had a day where something like this hasn't happened. He says, "if things aren't working out, everything will be alright," and I hate being told that. Except this time because without translation I would not have known that is what he was saying and it sounded amazing, so now I guess that changes things. Maybe I'll listen to the advice, only if it's not in English though.

15. Nancy Mulligan

I want to sit in a pub clapping and stomping my foot watching Ed perform this and everyone dancing to it (especially a certain Irishman named Niall Horan.) I love the Irish sound to it and how it still manages to be a pop song. It's a song about his grandparents and an amazing one at that. I would love to be someone's Nancy Mulligan.

16. Save Myself

To try and review this song was impossible for me because nothing I could say would give it the justice it deserves. Everyone needs to give it a listen no matter what situation you are in.

All in all, this whole album is a smashing success, and I wish Ed the best of luck with touring it. I can not wait for him to start a tour and see how some of these are live. He outdid himself with these songs and I applaud him. Once again he delivered and I am sitting here a very proud fan who can't stop listening to the album. Give it a shot, even if you don't normally listen to him. It's worth it.