​My Love/Hate Relationship With Pinterest

I tend to pin things and immediately forget about them.

63

Today I’m going to rant a little about Pinterest. I have a love/hate relationship with it.

I logged into the site on my laptop the other day, and discovered that I have fifty-two boards that I’ve pinned to over the years. With that number, one would think that I use Pinterest religiously, but that isn’t the case.

There is a lot of content and a broad range of topics to look for, so it really is a time-consuming task to browse the app or the website in an internet browser.

If you’re looking for a specific thing, sometimes it’s easy to find, but others, it really isn’t.

I look up things and pin them because I like a craft. If I think a recipe sounds good, or the hairstyle is cute, I save it to one of my boards.

I’ve pinned a number of things to my board named “big day,” as in a wedding day, but I am nowhere near marriage.

I pin things and forget about them.

When I look back at boards from high school, I cringe at some of the fashion trends I pinned, and wonder how I could have ever thought it was cute. I honestly don’t know why I’ve pinned shoes, and clothes, other than the dresses for Homecoming and other dances — not that I actually used those dress links to actually buy a dress for one of those events — because I saw them, liked them, pinned them, and then completely forgotten about them. It’s sort of comical to think about the things I’ve pinned and then never looked at again.

My most used boards would probably be “canvas art” (I love to paint), and “crafty” because I like crafting as well.

A new feature on Pinterest is the ability to organize things by subcategories within a given board. That would have been so useful years ago when I combined clothes and shoes into the same board. I’ve yet to use this new feature, but it will no doubt make organization in certain boards so much better.

The organization is real for some thirty-somethings, and very often stay-at-home mothers with a lot of time on their hands. The internet loves to call out those Pinterest-obsessed moms who have a ton of things pinned, but many pins that are out there are actually helpful tips, lists, and ideas!

Once in a while you find a pin with a broken link, or one that turns out to be less helpful than you originally thought, but the thousands of good pins cancel out the duds.

Overall, I’m kind of disappointed that I don’t actually use the app and website more often. I’m going to consider it part of my well-being to be organized in 2018. Organization will consist of all aspects of my life, whether online or in real life.

Make a pact to get organized in your life this year too. You won’t regret it. You can get rid of so much stress by cleaning up your cluttered life.