To An Old Friend I Don't Talk To Anymore

I am thankful for the way our friendship has faded.
22

Hey Old Friend,

Remember me? I'm the one you used to eat late night ice cream and binge watch One Tree Hill with.

It seems we haven't spoken much lately. Really, we haven't spoken much since we both went our separate ways in college and promised to stay "close." Well, let me begin by asking how you are. I hope you're doing well at your new school and you're meeting all kinds of interesting people. I hope these people are treating you well and that every dream you've been dying to pursue since you were 10 is actually coming true.

I never thought you would be someone I would consider an "old friend." I understand college came and I moved away and rarely have time to visit home. I also understand that times have changed and both of us have as well. It's just still hard to know that a friendship like ours didn't last like we planned.

We may not be close like we used to. I no longer call you every chance something exciting is happening in life and most times I'll learn of occurrences in your life through Facebook. We have grown apart. Normally that is easy to accept; however, giving that I considered you more like a sister, it does still sting from time to time. I am thankful for the way our friendship has faded. We never tried to hurt one another and I believe we did end on good terms.

With this, I've been wanting to take some time to thank you. To thank you for being there through the good and the ugly. From continuing my cheerleading career to having you around for my first broken heart. You have been there for me when times were not the easiest as I was for you. These are memories I will always cherish.

I want you to know I have no ill feelings towards you and I am not angry with you in any way. I've had the chance to watch you become the person you were destined to be and I am proud of the woman you have become. You have grown more in the past two years than I could've ever imagined.

While our futures may not be like we planned anymore, I will always wish you the absolute best in life. I want you to know I still pray for you every day. I pray that you finish college and find a good job. I pray that you find a man who treats you right and understands the precious cargo he is now protecting.

I know I probably won't get to partake in that special day of yours and see how beautiful you will look; Nevertheless, I do hope it exceeds every expectation you had. I hope that you will only have good things to say about us when you show your children your friends from high school. I hope they too will experience a friendship that was as close as ours used to be. I pray that you keep smiling and never let someone take the fire you have away. I pray you see how truly spectacular you have become and that you never let someone make you feel any less than perfect.

Lastly, I pray one day our paths will cross again. I miss you daily.

Always,

Your Old Friend.