What To Expect From Huskython

My Fourth And Last Huskython

Raise them up!

374
My Fourth And Last Huskython
Emily Lydell

Last weekend I had the wonderful opportunity to participate in my 4th and last Huskython. Huskython is an 18-hour long dance marathon in which we raise money for the Connecticut Children's Medical Center. However, it is a year-long fundraising event. This year, we raised over 1.3 million dollars! I am so incredibly proud of our school and what we have accomplished.

But more importantly, I am so proud of the kids. They are so incredibly strong and resilient. Their stories are just so incredible. And that is why I kept doing Huskython every year. Even though I never got super involved, just being a part of it to raise money for a great hospital that helps so many children is so rewarding.

The 18 hours of the marathon are intense. If you stay the whole time, you are not allowed to sit down, and so you obviously cannot sleep (unless somehow you manage to fall asleep standing up). You become mentally, emotionally, and physically tired. However, everyone experiences something different.

Some people may not feel tired at all but have some body soreness. Others may feel everything. This year I felt more awake during the whole thing than I did the other years. And while my body did hurt afterward, it was mostly my lower back that was bothering me and my feet didn't hurt that much. The event is emotionally exhausting because you hear the kids' stories which are always so touching. Then at the end, the kids cut off our bracelets which resemble hospital bracelets. Everyone cries during this part. It is so symbolic and meaningful. It is truly a moving experience.

I wish I wasn't graduating so I could do it again, but I will definitely donate for next year. I hope that every year Huskython will continue to break barriers and set the bar even higher. Let's continue to raise them up!