Dungeons and Dragons

If You Aren't Playing Dungeons & Dragons, Let Me Convince You To

Dungeons and Dragons is a game that many people see as "lame", however it can be helpful in the development of one's self.

145
dungeons and dragons
Instagram

If you know D&D and what it's all about, I'm sure you love playing it. Keep in mind, most learning comes from playing.

Dungeons and Dragons is a tabletop game that involves roughly four to seven players. One character, known as the Dungeon Master, (D. M.) creates their own world filled with magic, monsters, and basically anything else they want. The possibilities are endless. The rest of the players create their own characters to complete quests and journeys within the D.M.'s world. Whether that be save the world, defeat an evil emperor, or something as simple as helping an elderly woman plant her crops. Now that you know a little about the game, let me tell you why you and all your friends should play it.

1. It polishes your critical thinking skills.

D&D often includes strange and dangerous situations that cause players to… think outside the box. That is a skill that'll benefit you for the rest of your life. We all face unfortunate circumstances and obstacles in our lives, it's good to be able to explore all possibilities. This game helps players "think outside of the box" when faced with difficult and puzzling situations.

2. You have to get creative.

The brain is capable of wondrous things. Take innovators like Steve Jobs, Lin Manuel Miranda or Fumihide Aoki. If you don't know who those people are, look them up, they're important. This game involves a lot of brain power and playing it only expands your brain's capability to create. As a player, you create amazing players to roam the roads and trails of the world created by the Dungeon Master.

3. You practice teamwork.

The functionalist perspective of sociology believes that everyone has a part to play, a role, a job. That also applies in D&D. There are some crucial parts to the success of any party. The healer, the magi, the muscle, etc. however, there are more parts and there can be more than one of each. You'll work together as a group to accomplish quests and goals that would be impossible alone.

4. You make memories.

The people you play D&D with are the people you'll form immeasurable bonds with. You fight monsters and save kingdoms together and so much more. My group is filled with my best friends, I'd trust them with my life. And we have plenty of memories and inside jokes to last that lifetime.

5. It's a hell lot of fun.

Believe it or not, D&D is more than just collection of geeks in a dark basement. My personal group consists of an athlete, a few honor roll students and a couple gingers (I know, but Michael and Austin aren't THAT bad). Anyone can play this game, anyone can be good at it, anyone can have a blast with it. Who knows, you may even pick up a new favorite pass time.