My Goodbye To Odyssey

My Goodbye To Odyssey

From sticky boobs to hate mail from Texas, Odyssey let me experience it all.

9
My Goodbye To Odyssey

Yes, it's here, the moment you've all been waiting for. For the past almost three years, I have been blessing your newsfeeds with my thoughts on just about everything (I know you all were really curious on what theme song is going on inside your dog's head...you're welcome). Now, I'm here to share, for one last time, my thoughts on how Odyssey has shaped me one article at a time.

When I began at Odyssey, it was a small team of 10 writers within the Greek community who cranked out content to be sent to every sorority and fraternity house on campus, on *gasp* real paper. This close-knit community of writers producing content to a close-knit audience allowed me to see firsthand reactions of my articles, which is something not a lot of millennials can say.

As a freshman with an undeclared major, to have anyone I knew tell me they actually read my writing and thought it wasn't heinous made me realize I loved writing articles, and I became a journalism major.

I got my first glimpse of a successful article when I published a piece called "Sticky Boobs: A Sorority Girl's Sweatiest Secret," just months after the Odyssey site had gone up. I was over the moon to have 250 people like it on social media, and I thought I had really made it. That was until a year later when our print magazine was gone and a "Grey's Anatomy" marathon inspired me to write a piece on the show that had captured so many people's lives.

"20 Things That Will Inevitably Happen If/When You Watch Grey’s Anatomy," which as of now has received almost 27,000 shares and a quarter of million reads, gave me my first experience of my work going "viral," and I have Odyssey to thank for that.

I also got to my first experience of online haters through the Odyssey, courtesy of a gal from Texas who decided to write a serious open letter to my (apparently not too obvious) satirical article about how Kim Kardashian is a modern Founding Father. Not only did this response show me how my work can receive criticism from people across the country, but also how to not take any of that criticism too seriously. Now, I keep that open letter bookmarked for whenever I need a laugh, or a reality check that not everyone is going to enjoy what I write.

Now, I'm almost onto my last semester of college and am searching for jobs post-college, while Odyssey is a national publication outlet with thousands of writers across the country. It's finally time to say goodbye to the publication that has given me so much, in the hopes of passing down the torch to the next bundle of writers who can make this company grow and evolve even more.

Thank you to everyone who has encouraged my writing, shared their thoughts on articles I have written, and, most importantly, tolerated my aggressive amount of Facebook posts.

Until next time, byyyyyyyyyyye.