My Favorite Things About Living In The South

It's a unique way of life in the South.

299
http://www.tasacionesyremates.com

Life in the South has its unique qualities. The pace is as slow as the Southern drawls and the food is as wonderful as the hospitality. Living in the South is interesting. There is always someone there to help and there is always someone blessing someone's heart. Don't get me wrong, life in the South isn't perfect. But it does have plenty of perks.

1. Biscuits.

With honey and butter, biscuits are no less than amazing. A plate of biscuits and gravy are a heavenly breakfast. Don't get me started on chicken biscuits.

2. The fact that our annual festivals are usually named after a fruit or a vegetable.

The strawberry festival near my hometown is a big to-do every year.

3. Our 'Southernisms'.

“Nervous as a cat in a room full of rockin’ chairs” and the ever popular “fixin' to” remind me of the unique vocabulary I share with my fellow southerners.

4. We will try to fry almost anything at least once.

My favorites include fried Oreo cookies, fried Twinkies and fried ice cream.

5. Sweet tea.

A true southerner knows the difference in real sweet tea and adding sugar after its already in a cold glass. If you add the sugar while it’s still brewing and hot the sugar melts and you get real sweet tea. If you add it to a cold glass of tea, then you get granulated sugar with your gulp of tea.

6. The weather.

It’s pretty much always at least warm in the south. Even if it snows, it’s not a heavy snow and usually melts after a day.

7. Hospitality.

Most Southerners take pride in the reputation that the South has for our hospitality. I was always taught to feed people when they’re at your house, offer them drinks and pretty much anything else you can give them.

8. The way we give directions.

We don’t give directions in miles and street signs. We give directions in minutes and landmarks. Any Southerner should know what a country mile is.

9. Our love for football.

For as long as I can remember, I’ve been a University of Florida Gators fan. I’m not sure where it started, but it’s forever in my life. I will stand by my team and trash talk our rivals, mainly the Florida State Seminoles, even if we are losing horribly. On any game day, you’ll find me rooting for the Gators and whoever is playing the Seminoles.

10. The slow pace of life.

Southerners live a slower life, from our schedules to our drawls. Life can be hectic, but in the South there is always time to sit on the porch with a cold glass of sweet tea and just watch relax. Maybe wave a neighbor or two as they pass by. It’s a slower pace of life here in the South and it’s the perfect pace for me.