The Show That Made My Childhood

The Show That Made My Childhood

With "Avatar:The Last Airbender" streaming on Netflix, it seemed fitting to write an article on this immensely influential show.

6
The Show That Made My Childhood

When I heard "Avatar: The Last Airbender" was streaming on Netflix, I almost fell out of my chair. For months I had been searching for ways to somehow stream the childhood show on the internet, and finally I was able to re-watch my favorite show from my early years. As much as it seems like a kids show, "Avatar: The Last Airbender" is filled with life lessons and mature scenes.

If you never watched the show, do yourself a favor and stream it right now. If you have and need a refresher, the show is set in a world where humans can bend fire, earth, air, and water to their will and control. The main character is an air bender, one who is the Avatar, the mythical master of all four elements. Without revealing spoilers, Aang ran from his responsibility of being the Avatar 100 years before the show takes place, and is found by a brother and a sister, who soon go on adventures to stop the dangerous fire nation from taking absolute control of all four nations. Besides being a fun, comedic, and action packed show, there are many life lessons to be learned.

While watching the show, I realized that although Aang may be immature and childlike, that's what makes him so relatable. Even in dangerous situations, he likes to have fun and thinks outside of the box to solve problems. At the same time, he has an immense responsibility of saving the world from the fire nation. He is not a perfect hero, and this is evident throughout the series. The whole series is based on him running away from his responsibility, not because of callousness but because of the fear and pressure. A lot of times, pressure gets to us in real life, and we want to run from it. But eventually, like Aang, we need to face the responsibility and solve our problems the best way we can.

Another character that is relatable is the brother, Sokka. Sokka doesn't have any special bending powers, like Aang or his sister Katara. He fights with a sword and a boomerang, and acknowledges that he isn't anything special. But even though doesn't have any special powers, he still elevates the morale of the group and is the comedic relief of the show. He always tries his best, and is the leader of the group. Sokka is just the everyday guy who doesn't feel as though he has anything special going on. But underneath his lack of special powers, he is still a great warrior and contributes greatly.

Some of the themes in the show can be applied to real life in many ways. The themes of honor, responsibility, and selflessness reflect greatly in the lives of many people. Especially the one of responsibility and honor. Many people believe that honor is everything to them, and use the judgements of others to determine their honor. But like Prince Zuko, they have to realize that honor does not come from others, it comes from within, doing the right thing.

"Avatar: The Last Airbender" made mine, and thousands of others kids childhoods, and is one of the most influential shows in history. Like I said before, if you haven't watched it yet, then do yourself a favor and watch all three seasons.