My Favorite Broadway Musicals

My Favorite Broadway Musicals

"They say the neon lights are bright, on Broadway"

128
My Favorite Broadway Musicals

If you know me, or have read any of my previous Odyssey articles, you would for sure know that I am obsessed with anything having to do with musicals, Broadway, etc. Here are eight of my favorite Broadway musicals!

1.The Last Five Years

The Last Five Years is an off-Broadway musical that was written by Jason Robert Brown (my favorite composer). It premiered off Broadway in 2002, and was revived again off Broadway in 2013. The musical tells the story of a five year relationship between Jamie Wellerstein, an up and coming author, and Cathy Hiatt, a struggling actress. The story is told in such an interesting, yet beautiful way. The show uses a form of story-telling that starts with telling Cathy's story in a reverse chronological order, starting the show with their marriage ending. Jamie's story is told in chronological order, starting his story when they met. Each scene switches from Cathy's side of the story, to Jamie's side of the story, and eventually, their stories will meet in the middle (the wedding scene). Fun fact: The Last Five Years was inspired by Jason Robert Brown's failed marriage. This musical is one of my favorites simply because, the structure of the story-telling is so unique. The music in the show is absolutely amazing as well. Some of my favorite songs from the musical include, "See I'm Smiling", "Moving too Fast", and "A Summer in Ohio".

2.Thoroughly Modern Millie

Thoroughly Modern Millie tells the story of a small town Kansas girl named Millie Dilmount. Dilmount takes a train, moves to New York City in hopes to find a husband for money, instead of true love. Problems arise throughout the show as she asks herself the question, “Marry well, social whirl, business man? Or clever girl?” Basically meaning, does she marry a rich and wealthy man? Or does she follow her heart? It premiered on Broadway in 2002, with Sutton Foster as the lead role of Millie Dilmount. This musical is honestly amazing. It has been a favorite of mine for quite sometime. Some of my favorite songs from the musical include, "Not for the Life of Me", "Thoroughly Modern Millie", "Jimmy", and "Gimme Gimme".

3.Sweet Charity

This photo was taken when I saw Sweet Charity this past january!

Sweet Charity premiered on Broadway in 1966, and was written by Cy Coleman, with lyrics by Dorothy Fields. Sweet Charity was recently revived in 2016, with Sutton Foster starring as Charity Hope Valentine, and might I say, that show was FANTASTIC. Sweet Charity tells the story of Charity Hope Valentine who works as a ballroom dance host and is often exploited by men. The musical ends with a tragic ending, which I will not spoil. Some of my favorite songs from the musical include, "You should see yourself", "Big Spender", and "If my friends could see me now".

4.Wicked

Wicked premiered on Broadway at the Gershwin Theater in 2003, and is still there to this day! Wicked tells the story of the life of two witches from Oz (Elphaba and Glinda), The plot begins way before Dorothy's arrival to Kansas and starts when the two witches met in college at Shiz University. In the original cast, Elphaba was played by the wickedly talented Idina Menzel, and Glinda was played by the beautifully talented Kristin Chenoweth. Some of my favorite songs from the musical include, "The Wizard and I", "What is this Feeling", the classic "Defying Gravity", and "For Good".

5.CATS

CATS is a musical composed by Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber, and it was based on a novel by T.S Elliot. The musical tells the story of a tribe of cats called the Jellicles and the night they make what is known as "the Jellicle choice", and decide which cat will ascend to the heavens, and come back with a new life. I recently saw CATS this past summer on Broadway and, oh my goodness, AMAZING SHOW. I'm pretty sure my mouth dropped open, and stayed open the entire show! Leona Lewis played Grizabella when I saw the production too, and she was fantastic! Some of my favorite numbers from the show include, "Jellicle Songs for Jellicle Cats", "Memory", "Macavity: the Mystery Cat", and my all time favorite number in the show "Mr. Mistofelees".

6.Phantom of the Opera

The Phantom of the Opera is a fascinating musical composed by Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber. The show premiered on Broadway in 1988, and has been active ever since! The musical tells the story of Christine Daae, who becomes the obsession to the Phantom, a disfigured musical genius who lives under the opera house in Paris, France. The phantom is Christine's "Angel of Music". The musical begins in an auction sale showing the shattered chandelier. The chandelier is uncovered, and as it rises, the years roll back to 1881 where the start of the Phantom of the Opera began in this opera house. Some of my favorite songs from the musical include, the title song "The Phantom of the Opera", "Angel of Music", "All I ask of you", "Masquerade", and "Wishing you were somehow here again".

7.Newsies

Newsies is based on the 1992 Disney movie, that is based on the Newsboy strike of 1889 in New York City. The original cast of Newsies on Broadway starred Jeremy Jordan as Jack Kelly. I saw this show quite a while back on Broadway, and recently the live movie production in theaters, and both performances were insanely good. Each time I saw Newsies, the dancing gets me every single time. It's out of this world! Some of my favorite songs from the musical include, "Santa Fe", "Watch What Happens", "King of New York", and "Seize the Day".

8.Anything Goes

Anything Goes by Cole Porter is set aboard an ocean liner. Billy Crocker is a stowaway in love with heiress Hope Harcourt, who is engaged to Lord Evelyn Oakleigh. Reno Sweeney, night club singer, and Public Enemy #13 Moonface Martin aid Billy in his quest to win Hope. In the revival of this production in 2011, Reno Sweeny was played by my favorite actress, Sutton Foster. I saw this production live, and this show is very special to me because, it was the first time I saw Sutton Foster perform live. Some of my favorite songs from the musical include, "I get a kick out of you", "You're the Top", "Friendship", the title song "Anything Goes", and "Blow Gabriel Blow".