My Experience At A Donald Trump Rally

My Experience At A Donald Trump Rally

A few observations noteworthy of being mentioned.

29
My Experience At A Donald Trump Rally

Before I begin, in the interest of full transparency, I must admit I am not the biggest supporter of Donald Trump, but I will keep this piece as objective as possible and report only the facts of what I experienced. I recently had the opportunity to attend the Donald Trump rally in Bethpage, NY, and these are some takeaways from my experience there.

1. The majority of Trump supporters were white.

I mean, doesn't this make sense? By publicly stating time and time again that he will build a wall along the Mexican border, deport all illegal immigrants, and stop the immigration of Muslims into the United States among other racist comments, it's no surprise that most supporters, if not all, would be caucasians with a strong sense of nativism. On the anti-Trump side, many people noted how the other side was predominantly caucasian, and it was a game among those opposed to Trump to "find a non-white person on the other side."

2. There was a significant number of female supporters.

This is what surprised me the most. Despite Trump's misogynistic comments about women in the past and present, there was still a sizable showing of female supporters. Whether this is because Trump's degrading comments regarding women were overlooked or that his other policies outweigh his misogyny is beyond me, but either way Trump surprisingly has the backing of female voters. This is especially important for him in the general election in November, should he indeed be the Republican candidate on the ticket.

3. Protesters will shout anything catchy

This applies to chants by both pro-Trump supporters and against-Trump protesters. On the side opposed to Trump, there would be occasional synchronized chants of "NAZIS, NAZIS" aimed at the Trump supporters. I found this particularly ironic because just before or immediately after this chant, they would yell "Love not hate" or "No more hate in New York State." There was one girl standing next to me who picked up on this irony and was telling others around her to "stop calling them Nazis, this defeats our entire purpose and makes us look bad," but of course no one listened to her. On the other side, Trump supporters would yell "Get a job," implying the other side was unemployed. Now neither of the above demeaning chants were true, but they are indicative of how the protestors will conform to their crowd and yell whatever is being said.

4. Outbursts were often personal attacks.

This also applies to both pro and anti-Trump protestors. As the evening progressed, the attacks seemed to get increasingly vulgar and more personal in nature. Even though they were separated by barricades, people would find a target on the opposing side and begin a war of words with them, holding back nothing. These attacks easily shifted away from a difference of political opinion to attacking the other person himself/herself for supporting the other candidate. One man yelled at a woman on the opposing side and boasted how he had a girlfriend who was "hotter than [her]" and then began to attack her with disparaging phrases and degraded her for her physical features. Why do differences in political views warrant making unjustified hurtful comments about others?

5. It's all about the wall.

Frequent chants by the Trump followers were to "build a wall, build a wall," demonstrating their support for a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border, which is to be paid by Mexico according to Trump. Anti-Trump protestors would often chant "tear it down, tear it down," in response to these build a wall chants, and would also chant "bridges not walls," indicating their desire to link people together, not drive them apart.

6. Each side would try to educate the other.

In an attempt to convince the other side that their views were wrong, some chants were specifically directed for this purpose. On the anti-Trump side, one chant stood out in particular, which was "Your hats are made in China." It's no secret that Donald Trump possesses a certain disdain towards China, often criticizing how America is too dependent upon the Chinese and we need to take back control of the global economy before the Chinese overtake us. A majority of the Trump supporters were wearing "Make America Great Again" hats, which ironically, were indeed made in China.

7. Passions ran high for candidates.

Despite any flaws their candidate might possess, these people supported their candidates with a great passion, and rightfully so. No matter who they are supporting, they are doing so with the belief that that particular candidate will help to improve their life or maintain their current well-being.