My Go-To Stress Reliever

My Go-To Stress Reliever

Jam sessions in the car = extremely therapeutic.

60
My Go-To Stress Reliever

For the last two years of high school, I drove a half-hour to and from school every day. As dull and annoying, for lack of a better word, as the lengthy trip could sometimes be, it came to be my favorite part of most days. I'd plug my phone into the aux chord in my silver Nissan Rogue and give my own private concert from Scranton, through the streets of Dickson City, all the way to my garage in the heart of Greenfield. I've gone through countless hours of albums and playlists that match every mood, emotion, and event you can think of, leaving me very knowledgable in the realm of musical lyrics.

Since coming to college, I've realized how much I miss driving. (Only for the jam sessions, though, of course, because we all know driving is not my expertise...) Anyway, my 10-minute walks to class with headphones in did not give me enough time to thoroughly enjoy my recently added songs of the week. Also, publicly dancing to and from every building will most definitely attract a lot of staring.

Don't get me wrong, dance parties in the dorm room and singing in the shower always relieve stress and put me in a better mood. But there is something about driving on such a familiar route that I can do it with my eyes closed, with my new favorite album on repeat that makes me feel on top of the world. So, the first thing I do any time I come home from college is to make a new playlist and beg my sister for the car keys.

Ever since I can remember, I have always been a music person. I remember being a kid and listening to my mom play Michelle Branch over our ancient stereo, and dinner at home is always accompanied by a shuffle of CDs, setting the mood with some Andrea Bocelli or James Taylor radio. My favorite moments as a child include squishing thirteen family members into our seven-person SUV and blasting Mr. Jones by the Counting Crows, which has become an annual tradition while on vacation.

Music brings people together, touches hearts, and puts feelings into words that are sometimes difficult to speak. For me, I feel the best of what music can bring while driving through my hometown. Call me crazy!!, but my beat-up Nissan and Spotify app are the ultimate feel-good combination.