My Boyfriend Can Tell Me No

My Boyfriend Can Tell Me No

And I'm Allowed To Listen To It

1506
My Boyfriend Can Tell Me No

As women, we toss out "Wow you let him control you so much" rather frequently. Especially because most of the time, the person saying it is being hypocritical. They're either: A. Not in a relationship so they're bitter, or B: A feminist who believes only women have the right to tell men what to do-not the other way around.

There are so many times I've wanted to say something but have bit my tongue instead. I thought doing this would make it easier. Why not just ignore others opinions that you don't agree with? It truly does save you annoyance and time rather than arguing with them about it. However, I've found with simply letting this topic go, I'm giving some girl's the impression that I agree:my boyfriend shouldn't be allowed to tell me no. That's just not the case.

If your boyfriend isn't allowed to tell you no, then you better never even think of telling him no either.

This means:

1.) If he wants to text other girls-you have no say.

2.) If he wants to hang out with the guys and drink instead of go on a date with you-you have no say.

3.) If he wants to remain friends with his ex? Well guess what..you still have no say.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. If you believe your boyfriend should never be allowed to tell you no, then you better damn well believe he won't listen to no when you try throwing it out at him as well.

I get such a hard time for:

"Let me run it by my boyfriend first."

But seriously, why?

Why do I get a hard time for showing consideration and respect? He's my boyfriend. I literally call him the other half of me for a reason. We are in love and you'd think everyone would just understand what that entails. The truth is, a lot of people don't, and frequently have to be reminded.

Love comes with compromise. It comes with asking your boyfriend if he cares if you and the girls go out because you promised you'd stay home to binge watch your favorite show together. It comes with not posting that revealing picture because it makes your boyfriend uncomfortable to see other guys looking at parts of someone they love so deeply. It comes with ignoring texts from your ex because they've crossed too many lines and show no respect for your significant other. If my boyfriend tells me no, I'm definitely going to listen.

People assume because I listen to the word no that I only hear the word no. That's not the case and it never was. I surely listen, and try to make the situation comfortable for the both of us. I don't live in a relationship where the other person has no respect for my feelings. We compromise on what we both want, and I think that's the point of a relationship. If he says no and I say yes, if I say no and he says yes-we will get to a point where we're both happy. It may take all damn night, but we'll get there somehow.

What we both refuse to do, is stay in a relationship where we deliberately do things that upsets the other person. If I am doing something that genuinely hurts the man I love and he thinks I'm too sure of myself to ever even think of listening to the word no, then we get no where. We stay in the same place, and eventually our relationship will be so far past fixable that no and yes will seem like a simple thing of the past.

You have to be able to listen to the word no. I'm not saying that everything he says no to you to do, but you have to be willing to work with it.

If he doesn't like how the shirt shows so much of your cleavage, try adjusting it so it covers up a little more.

If he feels uncomfortable for you texting your ex's-ask him why, and if he came up with enough good reasons, accept that it's for the best.

Don't be afraid to listen to the word no because you think it's frowned upon. It isn't a bad thing to want to please the person you're with. This doesn't mean you're letting them control you, it means you have respect enough for him and your relationship to show you understand where he's coming from.

A lot of times, I've found that when my boyfriend has actually told me no (which is very rare) that it ended up being for my best interest.

When I asked if he cared if I hung out with my friend and he said to go have fun, she ended up leaving me at a gas station and I had to call my boyfriend for a ride home.

When I asked if he cared if I took another shot and he would drive home, I ended up being hungover until 4 the next day.

When I asked if he cared if I responded to my ex to tell him: "Yes, I'm doing fine." He ended up coming back and asking when he'd see me again.

These are all things my boyfriend says no to me now, and there's a damn good reason for it.

He's protecting me from the friend that could have cared less for my safety.

He's saving me from the alcohol that kept me up all night sick.

He's being my superman when it comes to opening my eyes to guys who don't really care about how I am, but really just want in my pants.

He has enough respect for me to say:

"Babe, I don't think that's a good idea, you remember what happened last time you had a 5th shot..don't you think you've had enough?"

or..

"This is the second time this friend has left you alone, I don't want you to be put in a situation where she'd do it a third time because you know she would."

No isn't always a bad thing and we shouldn't fear it. Especially when it's coming from someone who genuinely loves us and wants the best for us.

My boyfriend is allowed to say no, and I'm allowed to listen to it.