12 'Girl Code' Tips To Maximize Your Happiness

Don't be afraid to compliment someone.

76
MTV

Need a little motivation? Everyone does sometimes. If you're in need of some friendly advice just between us girls, don't worry, I got you covered.

Here are some of my own "girl code" tips that will help you get through your roughest days.

1. Compliments are a good way to spread happiness.

Don't be afraid to compliment someone. You like their shoes? Tell them! Their hair looks cute today? They want to hear it from you!

2. When you're feeling low on self-esteem because of celebrities or social media personalities, just remember — nothing is as it seems.

You don't know how they are feeling. They could be having a low self-esteem day too, so they posted a highly edited picture. Let them do what they want to do, it doesn't mean you are any less of what you truly are.

3. It doesn't matter what you look like on the outside, personality still matters.

You could be the most beautiful person on the planet, but if you have an arrogant personality, no one is going to find you attractive. Focus on bettering every part of yourself, not just how you look, but how you are too.

4. Weight and staying in shape is a difficult topic, don't put someone down for their weight or for their new diet.

If someone is what society considers "obese," but they are happy with themselves, let them be happy with who they are. If someone is starting a new diet but you don't think they need to, let them start the diet and let them feel better about themselves. How people live their lives is none of your business, especially on such a touchy subject.

5. Never be friends with your ex if the feelings are still there.

Sorry, but it just won't be healthy for you. Let those feelings go and if you really want to be friends with them in the very distant future, then don't hesitate to reach out.

6. Dress for success when needed, dress for comfort when needed.

I know it feels amazing to look nice for classes because that cute boy is in your class or you just want to feel good about yourself, but sometimes, you feel the best while you're walking around campus in sweats and an oversized sweatshirt.

7. Don't let jealousy overpower you.

Jealousy is a natural thing, but do not let it become who you are.

8. Never forget: nobody is perfect.

You may see people that look like they have it all together, but trust me, you don't know what's really going on. Everybody has some sort of darkness they don't let through.

9. It is possible to say no.

It's so hard, but it is possible, and you have to be able to find the courage to say no. Otherwise, you'll be living a life you don't want to live.

10. Let a girl know if her man is cheating.

It's just common courtesy. If you know, and she's oblivious to everything, please tell her — no matter how much it will hurt her at first.

11. It's okay to be alone.

You don't always need people around to be happy. I find my most pure happiness when I'm alone in my dorm dancing away to the "Mamma Mia" soundtrack.

12. Confidence is key.

Everyone has their days where they feel like they are ugly or not good enough. But be confident with who you truly are, and you'll find that's the first step of your own happiness.