9 Musical Movies For When You Just Want To Sing And Dance

You can never go wrong with an outrageous musical number to revive you.

27
New Line Cinema

Ever since I was a little kid, I have been virtually obsessed with everything related to theatre, especially musicals. I specifically remember when I saw Wicked with my Mom, the first musical I saw live. It completely transformed who I was as a person, what my passions were, and what I wanted to get involved in once I entered high school.

Eventually I grew a little older and discovered alternative passions, and I decided that although I love participating in musicals, it may not be my calling to become a Broadway actress. But, that doesn't keep me from being able to enjoy watching musical movies, and then watching them again and again until I know every lyric of every song.

1. Mamma Mia!

img.buzzfeed.com

Mamma Mia was one of the first musical movies that I fell in love with. The perfect thing about this film is that when the closing credits inevitably come, you can just move onto the sequel.

2. Into the Woods

media0.giphy.com

You can never go wrong with more Meryl Streep, which is why Into the Woods is another great choice if you're looking to belt until your lungs cannot give anymore. It's a mixture of all your favorite fairytales, but with grim twists.

3. Across the Universe

media1.giphy.com

Released in 2007, Across the Universe features a variety of well-known songs by The Beatles, so you can easily join the actors in their renditions even if it's your first time watching. Usually when I mention this movie to my peers, not many people are aware of its existence, but it was nominated for both a Golden Globe and an Oscar.

4. Hairspray

media3.giphy.com

How can anyone resist the smooth moves of Zac Efron and John Travolta in one movie? Hairspray may take place in the streets of Baltimore in 1960's, but many of its messages are still relevant today.

5. The Rocky Horror Picture Show

thumbs.gfycat.com

If you're looking for a musical that is not as conventional as the others, Rocky Horror is the perfect fit. Although there is a more current version that served as a tribute to the original, I cannot help but love the 1975 cast of Barry Bostwick and Susan Sarandon. It is definitely not your typical film, but that's what makes it magical.

6. Mary Poppins

media0.giphy.com

If you never listened to the iconic tunes featured in this movie, prepare to be blown away. The film truly transcends time, proving itself to still be considered a masterpiece today by maintaining a 100% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

7. La La Land

66.media.tumblr.com

This film was an instant sensation in 2016, going on to receive six Oscars and even more Golden Globes. With brilliant costume design and catchy tunes, you'll find yourself quickly switching the subtitles on so you can sing along.

8. Moulin Rouge!

img.buzzfeed.com

I cannot even remember how long I cried after first watching Moulin Rouge. It truly captivates the audience and leaves them breathless by the end, all while providing beautiful melodies and duets that will tear your heart in two. The origins of the real Moulin Rouge are actually even wilder than the film depicts.

9. The Sound of Music

66.media.tumblr.com

Julie Andrews strikes again with another unforgettable film that stood as number one in the box office for the majority of 1965. If you're a musical lover, this is an essential.

Of course, there are many, many more musicals that I whole-heartedly love, but these are just a few that I think are the easiest to find online and learn the lyrics to. Get ready to be serenaded through your television screen.