11 Must-Have Vinyl Records For Any Collector

11 Records That Are The Backbone of Any Vinyl Collection

The classics that every collection should include.

701
Elizabeth Miotke

A person's record collection easily speaks volumes about them, all unique in their own right. While we all have individual and distinct preferences, there are some albums that are indisputable classics. No matter what your personal taste in music may be, these are albums that are all worth a listen.

"Revolver" by The Beatles

Recorded in 1966, "Revolver" is considered by many to be the best Beatles album. With its sophisticated style and obscure lyrics, the is an incredibly wide array of songs on this album. The perfect mix of known Beatles songs and a few hidden gems, "Revolver" has earned its place in every collection.

"What's Going On" by Marvin Gaye

Despite its heavy subject matter, "What's Going On" made a political commentary and an appeal for unity and peace near the end of the Vietnam War. It is beautifully and phenomenally recorded, it has something for everyone to take away and is truly one of the best soul albums ever made.

"Rumours" by Fleetwood Mac

There is no question why "Rumours" is wildly successful, being Fleetwood Mac's most successful releases and one of the best selling albums of all time. Despite being recorded during times of personal turmoil for the group, between the rich harmonies and intricate compositions are like no other. One thing is certain, no collection is complete without "Rumours."

"Songs In The Key of Life" by Stevie Wonder 

The hours upon hours Stevie Wonder spent working on this album, forgoing eating and sleeping at times, are truly evident. Around 130 people worked on the album, including greats like Herbie Hancock and George Benson. All 21 songs are crafted and arranged remarkably, easily making this incredible double LP Stevie Wonder's masterwork.

"Let It Bleed" by The Rolling Stones

Daryl Easlea says it perfectly in his BBC review of the album, "A murky, dark and chilly eighth studio set from the Stones." This albums presents its controversial material in an alluring country blues-fueled rock and features some of The Stones most iconic and confounding songs.

"Kind of Blue by Miles Davis

One of the most influential and popular jazz albums ever recorded, courtesy of Miles Davis and his virtuosic talent. Davis made compositional and improvisational history with his unrivaled band. A classic no collection should go without.

"Thriller" by Michael Jackson

The King of Pop's sixth album took the world by storm when it was released in 1980, and remains the world's best-selling album at around 66 million copies. Produced by Quincy Jones and Michael himself, there is something for everyone to love. Considering you more than likely have already heard all nine songs on the album, it's most definitely worth owning.

"I Never Loved a Man The Way I Love You" by Aretha Franklin

Released in 1967, it displays Aretha's glorious talent and the songs off it easily serve as soul standards. Her cover of Otis Redding's "Respect" becoming the anthem to the women's movement. "I Never Loved a Man The Way I Love You" showcases the Queen of Soul's unmatched talent and lasting impression unlike anything else.

"461 Ocean Boulevard"  by Eric Clapton

Clapton's 1974 release brought him his first number one solo album. It showcases his prodigious guitar skill in a more laid-back manner and features some great covers from greats like Robert Johnson and Bob Marley.

"Pet Sounds" by The Beach Boys

Once rated by Rolling Stone as the second-best album of all time, "Pet Sounds" was released in 1966 and was a first of its kind. Brian Wilson pulled from many genres from all of music history and made music history in composing one of the most influential pop albums of all time and that is a must for every collection.

"You're All I Need" by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell 

Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell make a dynamic soul duo and capture the Motown sound like nobody else. "You're All I Need" was the two's final collaboration and left us with two Billboard hits and laid-backtracklist of soulful love songs.