'I Must Be Stupid': A Poem By A Student Who's Had Enough Backlash From Liberals

"This goes out to all of those who have been made fun of or condemned for saying what was on their minds."

302

When I first became interested in writing, poetry was the last genre on my list. I preferred fiction and nonfiction, as I thought it was "easier and less stupid." That all changed this semester. I took a poetry writing class and fell in love. My professor taught my classmates and I to write whatever our hearts desired. Our poems didn't need to follow any specific format or rhyme scheme. We could just write what was on our minds and put it into stanzas. Since then, I've been using poetry to express myself in an artistic way, particularly writing about what makes me angry.

The poem I am sharing today was inspired by one of my best friends. We both share very different political views. She's a bleeding heart liberal and democrat, while I'm a realistic independent leaning towards conservative. She's very outspoken about her political standing to the point where I'm afraid to voice how I feel in fear of upsetting her or having her think negatively of me. One day, she was telling her mother and I how annoyed she was at the people from her church, who all shared very different ideas than her about feminism and President Trump. I, of course, just listened. Her mom gently told her that she (my friend) was lucky to have a friend like me to listen to her political tangents without interjecting my own views. My friend grumpily replied, "Well Kady's not stupid."

I used this experience to write the poem below. It's titled "I Must Be Stupid." Don't get me wrong, this isn't directly towards my friend, but also to those who have practically hit me over the head, saying my views were evil, racist, and mean. I have endured so much ridicule, and so have many others. This goes out to all of those who have been made fun of or condemned for saying what was on their minds. Without further ado, here is "I Must Be Stupid":

I believe I cannot express myself anymore

Without getting stepped on and spit on.

I am downright terrified of you.

I must be stupid.

I respect our old, blonde president,

Despite the mistakes he has made.

No human is perfect, after all.

I must be stupid.

I believe in equality,

But I do not like the tantrums

That come with it. I simply tolerate.

I must be stupid.

I know the male species is irksome,

But we do not have to start a riot.

Can we not just act like adults? And use our inside voices?

I must be stupid.

I believe fighting for women

Is really unnecessary.

We have come a long way already. What more do you want?

I must be stupid.

I do not want to march along the streets,

Or scream on CNN after one year of “tyranny.”

I just desire some unrealistic harmony.

I must be stupid.

I believe being squishy and soft

Is what got us into this mess.

I want to be firm and sharp, yet have a conscience.

I must be stupid.

I am not against blacks, Latinos, or Asians

Or Muslims, immigrants, or LBGTQ.

Only the ones who mooch, murder, and steal.

I must be stupid.

I think some aliens need to go home

While we try to fix ourselves first.

Our people need love and shelter, too.

I must be stupid.

I believe in a loving God,

Whose heart twists when He sees our pain,

But not everyone has faith, and tries to erase Him.

I must be stupid.

I truly desire more protection.

Maybe a wall? Or more laws?

I just want to be safe. I want my loved ones safe.

I must be stupid.

I believe in more security,

Because the children need it more than me.

They are our future, you know?

I must be stupid.

I want everyone to work hard

To get what they want in this life,

Rather than just get things handed to us.

I must be stupid.

I believe I made the right choice

When I pressed the big red button.

I have endured ridicule from those who had pressed the blue instead.

I must be stupid.

I just want to thank you

For accusing me of hate and brainlessness.

I am just a person who wishes for progress.

I am an idiot.