The Muslim Ban Began Before Trump Took Office

Before you put all of the Blame on Trump, take a look at what allowed him to do this.

7
Nick Morozov

With the recent executive orders signed by President Donald Trump along with the backlash that he has received in the form of public unrest I have begun to ponder, do these protesters know what they are protesting against? President Trump signed an executive order on Friday dubbed the “Muslim Ban” which bars people migrating to the United States from the following countries: Iraq, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen.

Much is being said about the omission of countries like Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, and Egypt. Some have alluded that the reason why these countries were omitted from Trump’s list is because he has business ties with these nations, however, they fail to paint a clearer picture. As I spoke to one of my friends who planned to protest the “Muslim Ban” I asked if she had read the executive order, to which she said no. The executive order has no mention of Islam, nor does it directly mention any of the seven countries banned. Instead, the executive order points to a law passed by the Obama Administration called the Visa Waiver Improvement and Terrorist Prevention Act, which provides the list of countries that Trump used, and also grants him the power to exert such a ban.

I do not agree with a complete ban of people migrating into and out of the United States, and I do hope that this executive order is indeed only temporary as the text says, however I cannot deny that the United States, as a sovereign nation needs to protect its borders and its citizens. As the constitution of the U.S says, “We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do establish this constitution for the United States of America” it is very clear that the founding fathers of these nation took the security of this nation and its freedoms as an important part of the government.

If you have made it this far, I urge you to read the executive orders and the laws enacted directly from the paper in which they were signed, and not through the eyes of others. Learn how to form your own opinions, and get educated on your rights and the rights of others. Read the articles of the constitution and don’t just skip straight to the bill of rights, as there is pertinent information that you will be missing. Educate yourself on what you’re fighting against, so that you do not look like a fool when asked about what you’re fighting for.

Here is a link to the Executive Order: http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=12...

Here is a link to the Visa Waiver Program: https://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/...