Music Moves

Music is powerful. Music is moving. For some, music is just background elevator music. For others, music provides the soundtrack to their life. As a freelance filmmaker, I take a special sort of liking to music. When making a film, music is the critical piece that sets the tone for the message you are trying to convey to your audience. I find myself envisioning how I might be able to create a video with a specific song when listening to the variety of genres that I do on a daily basis. This keeps my mind consistently active and creative. I also just love music for the pure art of it and appreciate the talents of the producer(s). I believe that music can fuel your passions and inspire you but I also believe that music can have a negative impact if you’re not careful.

Most people have music and artists that they listen to on a daily basis. This could be the radio, strictly Madonna, or any genre that the individual takes an interest in. The music that people enjoy typically jolts positive endorphins and provokes the person to think about their desires, passions, and dreams. An individual’s favorite genre can spark their imagination or a vision of their future aspirations. Each artist in each genre has a strong influence on their listeners and this is why the position of the artist and mainly the lyricist are so vital to making a POSITIVE impact. The superstars of the music industry have a gift of unbelievable outreach and it’s sad to see some artists become a negative influence to their listeners (mainly the youth). For these listeners, this negative desire that is sparked can seem positive in the moment but poisoning from a moral standpoint. This can create dangerous long-term mentalities for individuals who take their music seriously and let these artists drive their behavior in life. When the situation reaches this point, music becomes toxic and can trigger a lifestyle change. Additionally, people tend to gravitate towards others who enjoy the same type of music and from there your situation could spiral. With that said, this type of development happens mostly in young and vulnerable minds and only in rare cases can an individual blame their changed lifestyle solely on music. But I do know for a fact that music enhances the pursuit of human desires. These changes may not happen to you but it’s good to be aware of what can happen and to be increasingly aware of what you are listening to.

If you choose to listen to music that will positively spark your pursuits and aspirations, you will find it very motivating. Music can act as a great relaxer and tool for enhancing self-reflection. I find that I am able to reflect, brainstorm, and become inspired by music in certain situations. Finding different genres for different activities is something I recently started to do. For homework, for writing, for working out, or for simply relaxing. I have different genres for all of these different activities and I find that it keeps a positive balance of motivation and inspiration. Music allows creativity to freely flow into our ideas, projects, and goals. Music also gives us a boost in positive emotion to remedy the down times. There are many productive effects of music that, in moderation, can boost our day. I encourage everyone to pay attention to music a little more to allow for adjustments that will induce and sustain a change in your productivity and work ethic. If you realize that you are listening to “negative” music a little too much, make the adjustment, and get some additional inspiration in your day.