Yes, You Can Love K-Pop Even If You Don't Speak Korean
Music

K-Pop Taught Me Even If I Don't Understand The Words, Music Is A Universal Language

It doesn't matter if you don't know what they're saying, just appreciate the music.

529

With artists and groups coming from all over, it's no surprise how diverse the music industry has become. Recently, the Korean pop market has made its way over to the States. BTS, a K-pop group under BigHit Entertainment, have been trailblazers for this genre. Performing at the Billboard Music Awards, snagging the title of "Top Social Artist" TWO times in a row — these are just a couple things these international superstars have accomplished. Since Psy's "Gangnam Style" in 2012, this is just another look into the K-pop industry for many Americans. After BTS hit many popular talk shows with Ellen or James Corden, many people began to become more open to the idea of Korean music. However, there still is the same question: "how can you listen to that if you don't understand it?"

Recently, BTS' "Fake Love" cracked the US Top 10 list. It should be noted that this isn't the first time Americans have made a non-English song popular. In fact, we have quite a history of it. Remember Luis Fonsi, Daddy Yankee, and Justin Bieber's "Despacito?" Or how about Los Del Rio's "Macarena" in 1996?

It annoys me when people are opposed to K-pop or music of different languages because they can't understand it. You don't have to understand it. What hooked me into BTS was the rhythm of their songs, how addictive and catchy their music was — even if I didn't speak Korean. I used to be one of those people who refused to listen to K-pop because why would I waste my time listening to something I couldn't understand?

But when I allowed myself to open up and appreciate their music, it opened doors to a whole new genre I was missing out on. I discovered new artists, new music, and interest in Korean pop culture. I think that's what it's really about. Those who are willing to discover new kinds of music can gain an appreciation for different cultures and it can create a sense of unity. It is about bringing people together — regardless of race, religion, language — music can find its way to speak to you.

Because I was able to venture out of my comfort zone to listen to different music, it helped me become more open-minded. I listen to music — whether it's in Spanish, French, Korean... anything — because music has no language barriers. It was created for everyone to enjoy.