is music a good influence

8 Ways Music Can Influence Our Mood

Musical influence

42
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dazzler2409/37074655274/in/photolist-Yuaimo-UHPFmT-UtQ2Ek-kCEMGF-8Y6fSy-ZySdsD-2wKcna-E261a6-VTTvid-ZyRY8B-5n4m9Y-XWkucq-egcmEv-eheVm4-7obRLQ-Zw419C-nq8r4T-8cYvDb-V4HvC5-anut4a-RKwNhf-T58hFq-7N9T1q-e1jonL-HRAGeA-abV3Vx-Y2um7p-W8aYZS-fD774r-Zb3jk7-UdAqad-dr5pKQ-25GBXiR-HFD7Q5-276Ddbi-rc4YW4-U325Nh-VKVhjg-V4ixaG-puEwUZ-ab7uCQ-25LUPuR-273Qnco-d67aVj-26LefTe-WALj3f-7BcYei-25RGNNV-7HdZbh-5uFUND
Darran Moore Photography

Music is something that will never disappear. People gravitate to music and the feeling the music brings us. Music can influence us to focus, yet also influence us to day dream. It opens our minds, allows us to envision our fantasies and can even remind us of things we relate to that specific song.

Music can be joyful and it can be painful, but it is something we need. It is timeless and it will live on forever, making memories for us our whole lives.

Below are 8 ways music can influence your mood:

1. It gives us energy

Seriously... Can you even work out without a pair of headphones in????

Personally I know I cannot. Without music the motivation is just not there.

2. It can make us happy

There's always that one song that reminds us of our special someone. When you hear it you get those little butterflies in your stomach like it's the first time you met him or her all over again. That is the pure beauty of music. One simple melody can bring us pure joy and happiness.

3. It makes us sad

Songs that remind us of an ex, who we did not end on good terms with, can bring us to a state of depression. Despite knowing this and more than likely hating this feeling, you will continue to listen to this song anyway to punish yourself because you cannot put this memory behind you. I know when I hear "Land of the Snakes," by J Cole I get in my feelings, yet cannot find the nerve to turn the song off.

4. It can make us mad

While some songs can make you sad, due to reminding you of an ex or friend you aren't on good terms with. They may also make you mad. If there is resentment toward this person these may become songs you choose to skip just so you don't ruin your mood with anger.

5. The spiritual uplift

As some music can throw you into a sense of depression.. Other music can uplift you out of a dark place. An example I like to use is "1-800-273-8255," by Hip Hop artist Logic, and Singers Khalid and Alessia Cara. This song explains the pains of anxiety, depression and the daily struggle to want to be alive, but it also expresses the importance of life and waking up each day. Life is a gift. Logic is a once in a lifetime talent. He is truly an inspiring artist who cares deeply about his fans and want his fans to dig themselves out of their struggle as he did, and he will do anything he can to help. He even named the song "1-800-273-8255," after the suicide prevention help line to educated people and let them know someone is always out there to help in a time of crisis. He is truly my number one inspiration & is the sole reason I began writing. I wanted to help others, but we'll save that for another day.

6. Helps us grow as an individual

Music is a form of art. The beautiful part of music is it can teach us things. It can even teach us things about ourselves we may not realize need change. In this instance we can turn this into a positive motivator to help us grow and mature, as an individual. Some of us struggle through relationship after relationship, not knowing or understanding what went wrong. Certain genres of music can help us identify some of our own personal issues because NEWS FLASH... we are not the only ones going through these common issues in life!

A song I can relate to, which really did influence a great change for the better in my personal life is "If You Want Love" by Hip Hop Artist, NF. In this song, the chorus states "If you want love, you gon' have to go through the pain. If you want love, you gon' have to learn how to change. If you want trust, you gon' have to give some away." NF is expressing that in previous relationships, both sexual and platonic, he did not understand how show proper affection/trust, in order to receive it in return. He looks back wishing that he knew this before he had to learn the hard way and lose these important relationships he once had. In his second verse, he states "I've always tried to control things, in the end thats what controls me." I highlighted both of these lyrics because these are two of the top reasons relationships come to a screeching halt, and the person at fault never really seems to realize why. No one likes to be controlled, and without trust, there is no love.

With all that being said, when you are listening to music, feel the music. Interpret the lyrics and relate them to your own life. Music is a powerful tool and perhaps it is all the influence you need to battle your own personal demons, and come out on top living your best life.

7. Pumps us up

If you're going to a concert you pump yourself up with that artist's music the whole day and even the car ride there. Then there is always that song you play on the way to a party to get you in the mood to rage.

Personally, there's nothing better on a football Sunday than hearing the NFL on CBS theme song knowing I'll be seeing my team flock to the field seconds later. Go Ravens!

8. Sets the mood

As R. Kelly said, "I don't feel nothing wrong with a little bump n grind." RnB can get you and your special someone in the mood when played at the right moment. A little Marvin Gaye and Chardonnay has never done the body anything but good.