The Thank You's I Never Got To Say

The Thank You's I Never Got To Say

For PaPa.

8
The Thank You's I Never Got To Say
rebrn.com

This month I lost my grandfather. He was my best friend and my grandmother's soul mate. Their love story beats anything Nicholas Sparks could possibly write. I found this poem I wrote about their love and thought I had to share it. I know he's not here to read it now but if he were he would be sharing it with all his friends via email, I'm sure.

Thank You

Thank you for being in love

for fighting

for not being perfect

for the constant love

for the cold pepsi

Thank you for the hugs

for always saying “I love you”

for my father

for the beautiful back porch

Thank you for teaching me how to reverse a car

Thank you for the always open door

Thank you for believing in me

for pushing me,

for always being there

But most of all thank you for being you. For being the woman who can always be found baking or sewing or on the phone getting the latest scoop on everyone in town. Thank you for always being the man in the shop fixing something dangerous, for perfecting your yard, for smiling whenever you see my car pull up the driveway, for never getting angry when I annoy you or when I talk too fast.

So, here’s to you: The couple that reminds me that true love still exists and it is possible to fight over where the rain is falling and where it isn’t. I love you. Thank you.