14 Things You Should Know Before Taking MOWR College Classes

I knew about the MOWR program, but I didn't think I'd ever enroll in it.

41

It would be a complete lie to say that this summer was as relaxing as the one before or even the one before that. What was supposed to be a time in which I could finally be free from the stress and worry of school turned out to one that mirrored it. This summer, I had the brilliant idea of enrolling in the Move On When Ready (MOWR) program to take two college courses. I was not ready for the first day of class, nor did I think my idea was brilliant during the first week, but it was worth it in the end.

For those of you who are thinking of enrolling in the MOWR program, here are a few things I learned after this summer semester.

1. This is serious stuff, people.

Don't think that you'll be waltzing into a class (or online class) that isn't going to require hours of work. None of these courses are going to be a "joke" class, nor will the instructor be lenient if you miss a submission deadline.

2. Grab a pen, gather all your paperwork and be mindful of the registration deadlines.

I was a few days late to apply to GSU, and that was fine, but all the forms and ID verifications that come afterward is a whole mound of stress that has an actual strict deadline. If all that paperwork isn't filled out, you can't register for classes. If you register late for classes, it means that some courses might not have room for another student, or you'll have to pay a late fee.

3. If it's your first time taking a college course, do not sign up for a minimester.

While I signed up for full semester courses, a friend of mine chose to take minimesters, and boy, you do not want to do that to yourself. While a minimester is only a month long compared to the full two-month semester, the workload is the same, and it's not going to be pretty cramming in everything at once

4. If your friend is taking the same course, try to register for the same class/instructor.

Every instructor assigns different work, and although it's a hit or miss with determining which instructor to choose, at least you'll have a friend who you can study with.

5. It's OK if you're overwhelmed during the first week.

I was, and I'm sure most everyone else was. I spent a good few days trying to collect myself before I could even start my classes. You might regret signing up for this and ask yourself why you took your summer away, but trust me when I say you will have time for other things. Manage your time wisely, and submit work early so you won't have to worry about it for the rest of the week.

6. Take note of submission deadlines.

If your instructor tells you they want your discussion answer Thursday midnight, but you know the answer post doesn't close until Sunday midnight, the deadline is still Thursday midnight. The wonders of technology are that your answers will be time-stamped, so don't carelessly lose points because you thought you could submit work late without the instructor knowing.

7. That being said, feel free to work ahead.

No one is going to fail you if you decide to get this week's and next week's assignments done in a few days. If your instructor unlocks all modules/chapters at the start of the semester, it probably means that they are OK with you working ahead.

8. Instructors know you have questions, but they also have a life.

Don't email them minutes before your submission deadline, saying that something's not working. Since deadlines are usually at midnight, chances are they're either sleeping or won't see your email until the morning after. Be mindful that the best times to email your instructor is between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. on weekdays.

9. Online courses require as much studying as in-person classes.

Trust me when I say there is no such thing as an online class being easier. You might think you'll be able to refresh your forgetful self during tests by flipping through textbook pages, but keep in mind that there is a timer in for each exam and that sometimes, questions don't ask you to recall content but want you to apply content. I've experienced first-hand that studying is the difference between an F and an A.

10. If you're someone who procrastinates, think about reversing that habit.

I've seen some people working up to that midnight deadline as close as 11:58 p.m. — that is not good. Save yourself the stress, and try finishing all your work the day before, even if you're a helpless procrastinator.

11. Frequency in responding is key.

In discussion posts, instructors like to see that you don't just wait until the last day to respond to another classmate's post but that you respond on different days and perhaps build a conversation with someone else. The point of discussion is to create conversation, after all.

12. Read your textbooks.

Homework questions and quiz questions are more definition-based than exams, and you'll be able to work through them a lot easier if you read your textbook first. Sometimes the definitions and phrases found in the textbook are word-for-word on the homework questions and quizzes

13. Visit Khan Academy if you're in need of supplementary help.

Sal explains economics is the clearest language and saved me when I needed it the most. He also has topics on other subjects. ACDCecon helped me with economics as well.

14. At the end, it's worth it.

I regretted everything in the beginning, but when it ended, I realized that every hour of suffering while my friends only had AP summer work to do was worth the initial tears. Besides, now I have college credits after taking those classes for free. I'd be lying if I claimed it wasn't worth it.