Where Do We Go From Here?

Where Do We Go From Here?

There are three options in my mind, and I believe that I have found my calling and future

6
Where Do We Go From Here?
The Daily Dot

As the election results for the Presidential Race of 2016 started to filter in, the knot in my stomach grew tighter and tighter. Either way that the election swung, I was watching history be made. I was witnessing the next big change for my country, my people, my home. I am not a fan of Trump. I will never be a fan of Trump, and I am so heart-broken that we are not celebrating our first Madam President at the moment. I have avoided hateful words, tried to keep an open mind, and be the most kind about the absolute horror that I feel in these results; With that being said, I am devastated and searching for answers.

Where do we go from here?

Hillary was our hope for the shattering of an ever increasing and decreasing glass ceiling that so many women are begging to have broken. She was the hope that women had, at a chance for moving towards equality among the sexes. Instead, and quite frankly I will openly state my views without the fear of judgment because I believe in free speech, we are stuck with Trump. A man who thinks that saying, "'And when you’re a star, they let you do it,' Trump says. 'You can do anything... Grab them by the p---y,' Trump says. 'You can do anything.'" (Directly quoted from 2005 video with Billy Bush). A man who thinks that women are not equal, that we are nasty. A man who has zero experience in politics until he spontaneously decided to run for the highest office that our beautiful country has. A man who is a reality TV star and only recently became Republican because of his indecisive nature.

So again I ask, where do we go from here?

There are three options in my mind, and the last option is what I personally am choosing to do.

Option 1: Choose to remain silent

After days of anger and hatred, the protests, pain, and fear, remaining silent might be the option for you. To sit back and watch the country burn to the ground, or thrive - depending on your personal beliefs - through the leadership of Trump.

Option 2: Choose to do something about it, remaining in the United States

This is a good option for a lot of people, especially those who are assertive and want to see our country prosper, even with the leadership that we will be under. There are multiple ways to peacefully make a difference, and to step up to the plate as a decent human being who is considered with the outcome of this disastrous decision some of us have made.

The following is a site where you can find multiple ways to help the cause of moving our country forwards, and not backwards, and re-direct some of the anger that I know many of us are feeling at the moment.

Option 3: I'm not "running" from any problems: I'm moving to Canada because that is my choice

My boyfriend is Canadian, and he's taught me a lot about the culture, people, history, politics, lifestyle, economy, and nature of the beautiful land North of the boarder. Quite honestly, I have always been a fan of the Great North, and am part Canadian on my biological father's side. I truly believe that Trump becoming president is an awful thing, and I do not and will not ever support him because of who is as a person, not to mention I do not feel he is well qualified for the role of our Commander, leader of our people. Therefore: Canada. I've been working on getting my certificate of citizenship for awhile now, and his winning the election was the final straw to break the camel's back, so to speak. I have been called a coward, been told I am running from my problems. But let's be honest, Trump's presidency does not just affect the United States, it will affect the world, and no matter where someone "runs", his effects will be felt. I am moving to Canada because I know that I will live a more peaceful and thoughtful life, not worrying about having a president who thinks sexually assaulting women is okay. I am moving to make a statement, not to hide and cower. I'm not an assertive person, and I do not feel I would make much of a difference in the United States when I feel that I am not equal to those that I am working with. I am moving because I can, because I want to.

This election has truly devastated many, and there are protests, statements being released, abuse, hate crimes, and many more horrific things that are coming the the announcement that he is our president elect. I am heart broken and I am choosing to make a difference to benefit my own welfare, to benefit my life in some way that he has no control over.

So where do we go from here? Answer: Wherever you feel the safest and can protect yourself in the way that you need to.