5 Things Moving To Savannah Has Taught Me

Being Comfortable with Being Yourself

1019
Sara Sullivan

All my childhood I thought I had my future all figured out: I would graduate from Crystal Lake South High School, go off to college smack dab in the middle of Chicago, IL at DePaul University, and then, of course, end up living downtown Chicago raising my child to be the Cubs #1 fan. After assuming life always goes the way we plan, my freshmen year came and Mom told me she was moving to Georgia. My brother and I had two options: live with our Dad in Illinois or move to Savannah with our Mom. Guess which one we picked? If you guessed Savannah, you're way off. Fast forward two months and we no longer had a choice; Savannah here we went! Three years later as a senior at Savannah Christian Preparatory School, I look back in regret that I was so inflexible at the thought of moving. Moving has taught me 1001 different things, but for the sake of this article, here are the five main things that moving to Savannah, Georgia has taught me.

1. Happiness is figurative.

No matter where you are or what you're doing, you have the capability to create happiness.

Even if you're at the worst, most horrid place imaginable (probably the dentist's office because who actually enjoys the dentist?) you can create happiness. It doesn't matter who you are, where you're from, or even something silly like the weather outside; your body is capable of producing positivity. The biggest lie society will tell you is you cannot be happy all the time, or that you need to be in a certain place with particular people in order for you to be happy.

Yes, for example, you may experience a rush of happiness on the way to the beach with your best friends, but that exact beach isn't the exact reason you're happy. Your positive mindset and enthusiasm that come along with the memory of the beach are what makes you feel happiness. You can take that same positive energy with you anywhere you go and string it through every aspect of your life. Basically, if you create happiness in situations where happiness is absent, then you will always have a smile on your face anywhere you go.

2. They're all just people.

This is a biggie. If you've ever felt social anxiety, this one is for you.

Never in my life have I experienced any social anxiety until my first semester at Savannah Christian. I remember myself being outgoing and making casual conversation with the people around me, but I just didn't fit in with any of my peers in Georgia because we didn't find pleasure in similar activities or conversations. Not fitting in made me worried, doubtful and question if I will ever make close friends, so naturally my mind floated with concerns about others judging me or if others just don't like me. It was then when I realized... We all are human. Boy, girl, no matter who it may be, we all have one similar trait: we all feel. Everyone gets sad and upset, worried about what people are thinking, sometimes even if the boy/girl we're into likes us back.

Literally every emotion you feel, someone else has felt it too. So why should we feel judged or judge others for having those same feelings? Thats something I cant answer. The truth is, others thoughts about you are not worth thinking twice about. We all have much better things to worry about than what the girl at your school thinks about your hair last Tuesday. Besides, the person you're worried about judging you is probably even more concerned with someone else judging them. With all this being said, who cares what people think about you. Never think twice when it comes to being anyone's best friend and don't be afraid to go up and talk to someone. Love endlessly, be expressive, be bold and get yourself out there! Be comfortable with yourself and remember we all have those feelings, so if someone judges you, they're more than likely trying to distract everyone from their own insecurities. We are all human, so be thebest one you can be.

3. You're allowed to say "no."

You know you don't have to act like everyone else for them to like you, right?

Piggy-backing off the previous paragraph: with being worried about not fitting in comes pretending to be someone other than yourself. If I have learned anything in my life, it is this: you DO NOT need to act like everyone else to have friends. You don't need to follow what society labels as "cool" or do what everybody else is doing. Being a follower to society's standard of cool is so out of style. Do what you want and say what makes you feel good about yourself. Present yourself in a way you appreciate. This is your body and this is your life, and you're allowed to say no to things you don't want to do. People will either respect you or think you're a wimp because of this.

But why would you want to be friends with people who don't love the person you are and have created yourself to be? You can and you will say no to the pressures of social confirmation. We are human; we aren't supposed to be exactly like anyone else. Chances are, as much as they seem to be having fun, they probably don't even enjoy half the things they're doing or saying.

4. St. Patrick's Day is pretty sweet.

This is self-explanatory.

If you're from Savannah, you know what I'm talking about. St. Patty's Day (except for the week of July 4th) is the best day ever. If you tell me March 17th is not your favorite holiday to be Downtown, then you're just lying. This is no serious life lesson, but I had to slide St. Patrick's Day in this because its significance is still a valuable part of what I've learned from living here.

5. Appreciate the present.

Last but not least, life is so incredible, and sometimes it's really (like really really) hard to be aware of all the things the present has to offer us. Think about it. What are some times in your life where you have felt totally alive?

In Savannah, every morning there is an incredible sunrise on the beach (referring to Tybee of course). If you have any interest in seeing the sunrise, please please please go see it! There is no excuse for you not to go soak up every bright and bold sunbeam in the sky as each one practically gets spit out of the ocean's horizon. At that moment is when I feel my most present. Find something that makes you feel alive and vivid; then do it every opportunity you get. Go on a road trip, go somewhere you've never been before. Realize and take the time to comprehend the world is huge and an individual taste of creativity lies within every neighboring town. Never say you "don't have the time of day" to go do something that makes you feel alive and free; that's what life is all about.

Live for yourself.