tips for first apartment

19 Things You Need To Know When You Move Out Of Your Parent’s House For The First Time

And no, I don't mean into a dorm.

230

I recently graduated from college and moved out of my parent's house. FREEDOM!!! And work, and limited money, etc. But here are a few things that I have done before and after I moved that really helped to ease the process of transition.

1. Downsize everything you own before you move.

Nychele Kemper

Especially if you just graduated college you no longer need doubles of some things, your textbooks and notes, or many of the clothes that you have held onto after high school.

2. Your lifestyle will likely not be like your parents.

Nychele Kemper

This means two things: 1. You can set your own rules for how you live now. And 2. You likely do not have the money to live at the same economic lifestyle they currently do; remember, they have been working hard to be where they are, you are just starting.

3. Don’t clutter up your life with things and expenses you don’t care about.

TMSTBCH

Life is expensive, don't make it harder by being frivolous with your money.

4. It’s almost necessary to have roommates.

Nychele Kemper

Unless you landed a really good job after college or are a really private and introverted person, roommates help by splitting costs and providing companionship.

5. Talk to your roommate(s) before you move in.

Nobmouse

Everyone has expectations. Make sure you are on the same page and this will prevent many future misunderstandings.

6. Buy food that you want to eat.

Nychele Kemper

If you don't like something, don't buy it. If you don't like yogurt or onions then don't buy them. Just because most people cook with something doesn't mean you have to.

7. Don’t grocery shop on an empty stomach.

Nychele Kemper

Eat a snack or a meal before you go so you don't buy a ton of junk food and waste your money.

8. Make a shopping list and stick to it.

Nychele Kemper

Look at the ads for your local grocery store and take advantage of the sales and digital coupons.

9. Buy things you use often in bulk.

Nychele Kemper

Most stores have multiple sizes of the same item; and it's usually cheaper per ounce to buy the bigger sizes. So if you are buying something with a long shelf life that you use often, buy the bigger, more economical size.

10. Pack a lunch for work.

Jeffrey Beall

Eating fast food is fun, and bad for your wallet and waistline.

11. Cooking takes a long time.

Jeanne Kemper

Two words: meal prep. Aka, make a family size meal and eat leftovers for a few days.

12. Pro-Tip: buy individual meal sized containers and split up your leftovers in them.

Nychele Kemper

Then grab and go, no time wasted to dish out a meal sized portion each time.

13. Prioritize what you are going to spend your money and time on.

Jake Wasdin

Certain things are more important to different people. Get a cheaper phone plan if you don't use that much data each month or buy clothes at thrift stores and Goodwill. By saving money in some categories you will have more money for the things that you want: gym memberships, Netflix, and other fun things.

14. Make a budget and stick to it.

Nick Youngson

Make it reflect your priorities and responsibilities. No one wants to go to pay rent and realize that they overspent on something they didn't really care about. Everydollar is a good budgeting app.

15. Plan ahead financially.

rawpixel

Things like car insurance and new tires are big expenses, but they are usually cheaper if you can pay for 6 months or a year at a time. Also, if you have your eye on an expensive item, save up for it and avoid credit card interest.

16. Have an emergency fund.

401(K) 2012

Something will go wrong or you will miss a day of work because of sickness. A good starting emergency fund is around $1,000.

17. Keep up on your bills.

JoanDragonfly

You don't want to have to end up paying late fees on top of your expenses. Be proactive and save your hard-earned money for things that you want.

18. You get to set your own standards of living and housekeeping.

Donald West

Just make sure your roommates are cool with it and that you don't draw bugs and rodents.

19. Have fun and enjoy any new-found freedoms; but don’t shoot yourself in the foot by being irresponsible.

Nychele Kemper

Moving back in with your parents isn't the end of the world or necessarily the worst thing. But you don't want to have to because you did something stupid.

Welcome to adulthood and responsibility! You have to grow up a bit, but don't lose your wonder and adventure. Remember you can still have fruit snacks and juice pouches, but now you have to buy them yourself.