Moving On From Ex

You Can’t Move Onto Your Next If You’re Still Hung Up On Your Ex

This should be a no-brainer, right?

361

This should be a no-brainer, right? Who would get into a new relationship after just getting out of one? Obviously, there's still lingering feelings there.

We've all heard the expression: time heals all wounds. And that's true. When I broke up with my first boyfriend, it took time to heal. To learn to be on my own and love myself all by myself.

But nowadays, we're all so obsessed with relationships. With finding "the one" and ignoring the fact that we need our alone time. We need time to learn about ourselves, what we like and don't like—especially in a partner.

I'm here to remind you, ladies and gents, it's OK to be single. Don't rush into a new relationship with some guy you met off Tinder not two minutes after your break up because you're "bored" or "lonely."

Nothing can fill that void. Not even a new guy.

Some argue you never truly get over your first love—and I argue that's completely untrue.

First off, how unfair is it to your next? While you're with them, you're still thinking about him? If you're still thinking about them, you're not over them.

I mean, you can obviously still think about them. Maybe you see their favorite movie and wonder how they're doing.

But if you're with someone new, and for some reason, all you can do is think about your ex—you're not over them.

You're not ready to give your whole heart to someone new because someone else still has a piece of it.

I'm not preaching "moving on." Instead, I encourage you to slow down. The right one will come along eventually. I can't tell you how many people I know who are constantly obsessed with finding someone simply because they just can't be alone.

I'll admit, being alone isn't fun. It's nice to have someone constantly there for you. It's like a best friend who's obligated to hang out with you—except you guys occasionally have sex.

But your alone time and your healing time is crucial for your own development. And, by allowing yourself to fully cope with your breakup, you're also saving your next from getting hurt in the end.