College: Movies vs. Reality

College: Movies vs. Reality

Movies make college seem like it's really a dream come true, when in reality, it's more different than you think.

1699
College: Movies vs. Reality
Renegade Cinema

There are many components in college movies that film companies decide to portray that makes college look like a great time. However, when it comes time for people like us to actually get into the college world, then we see that it's a lot more different than we think in the movies. Whether it would be the actual going to school and attending classes part or the having fun part, college is a lot different in the movies than it is in actuality.

Move-In Day

Movies: The movies make it look like move in day is as easy as 1-2-3. Students in the movies usually move into their dorm rooms within one hour and usually they don't have a lot of stuff packed with them. They usually bring in a suitcase and another bag that must consist of a few other items.

Reality: Move-in day is a long process as it usually takes a few hours just to get everything into the room. In addition, it could probably take another 2-3 days to get everything in order to get all of your belongings organized. Plus, you might want to rearrange the furniture, depending on you and your roommate's desires in terms of how you want the room to look.

Attending Classes

Movies: College movies make it look like classes aren't that bad to attend to because the professor seems to be easy-going. The homework assignments look like they are easy to complete and it's kind of easy to get the good grades that you want.

Reality: Most of a college student's time will be taken up in the work load that they have to do, depending on their major and the classes they are taking that semester. There are going to be moments where you find yourself pulling off all-nighters and being in study groups. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's just a sense that a student needs to do whatever it takes to succeed.

Fraternities and Sororities

Movies: There are a ton of movies that are popular nowadays that really depict the greek society life as being a giant party. A particular example that I am referring to are the "Neighbors" movies that star Zac Efron and Seth Rogen. The members of the frats and sororities are all about throwing parties every day and just having a fun time.

Reality: Fraternities and sororities are all about helping other people in need as they begin to glow close relationships with each other. My oldest cousin, who just graduated from his university, was involved in greek life. He told me that the greek life is more about developing close relationships with the individuals that are in the same fraternity/sorority as you. The members do a bunch of service projects together and they only throw parties when there is a very special occasion to celebrate.

Parties

Movies: In a similar aspect, college parties in movies look like they are a great thing to look forward. There are parties that are being held by greek society and just by a bunch of various people. There is a bunch of alcohol and a bunch of hot people around for a chance to get it down with.

Reality: Parties are not exactly my forte now that I am in college. I think that college parties are overrated unless I am celebrating something special with my friends. There are dance parties held on my campus, but they aren't that fun as they seem in the movies. They do have homecoming and spring ball and those are the types of dances and parties that I look forward every year.

As you can see, movies really do depict the college life in a different manner that isn't close to real college life. I am just starting my third year of school and I really am looking forward to another fun-filled year. Not because of some of the elements that the movies depict about college life, but just being here with the friends that I have made. I make my college the way I want it to be and I try to make the most of it because the years will fly by.