The Movie You Have To Watch That I Can Tell You Virtually Nothing About

Sing a happy song.

16
youtube.com

I promise this will be the last article in which I write about how my roommate changed my life.

Usually when people give me movie recommendations, I try my best to watch them if it’s convenient for me. If I hear that something is good and then I see it while I’m browsing for something to watch on Netflix, I’ll absolutely watch it. However, if it isn’t readily available to me, it likely will be forgotten along with all the other information I’m supposed to retain but don’t.

Most of the time, the person who recommended the movie to me forgets about it just as easily as I do, so it’s no big deal.

My roommate is not most people.

When she told me to watch “The Voices”, starring Ryan Reynolds, I gave her a vague something along the lines of Yeah, sure, if I remember, and that was it. Or so I thought.

Two weeks into our school year, Holly sat me down and made me watch the movie, not telling me anything about it even when I asked.

I’m fairly certain I was a different person coming out of that movie than I was going in. After it was over, she and I had a forty-five minute discussion about the themes discussed in the film, and we went to bed late that night with all-consuming thoughts about what we had just watched.

In short, Ryan Reynolds plays a sweet, dopey warehouse worker in a small town. He has a dog and a cat he loves very much, he has a crush on the cute accounting girl upstairs, and he has schizophrenia.

I can’t say anything else for fear of ruining it, but if you’re looking for a well-written, insightful movie to watch with a dark sense of humor and a twist on the usual thriller, give “The Voices” a try.

Then please text me so we can talk about how good it is.