Why The Movie 'Downsizing' Is More Than Just A Movie

The underlying message of the newest Matt Damon film.
49

Recently, Matt Damon starred in a movie called "Downsizing." It's an interesting film about a couple who decides to make themselves smaller in order to have more money and a better life. The wife changes her mind after the husband has been made small and thus his new single and small life starts.

The film is about more than what the actual story is. In my opinion, this film is about looking at the bigger picture of life and helping others along the way. There are multiple times when real world problems are mentioned in the film and in some cases solutions are proposed and carried out.

While it's not possible to shrink people in real life to save the environment, we can look at some of the ways the smaller communities conserve resources to help our world now. Other real world issues that are touched on include equal rights, when the guy in the bar asks Matt Damon if he feels that smaller people should have the same rights although they avoid taxes; immigration issues, when the people from Vietnam hid in a television box to get to the United States; and money issues, when it is revealed that the downsized people pay little to no taxes and that only the really poor in the big world are still poor in the downsized community.

I feel that we can learn something from this movie. If we look at people in a different light and stop focusing solely on ourselves we can make a positive change. Take the Vietnamese woman for example, she was put into prison for protesting and then punished further by being shrunk. She tried to escape to the United States and it cost her a leg. Even after her challenges she helps all others around her by giving them food and bringing them healthcare. She made a positive change in her community.

I strongly suggest seeing this movie in order to get the overall message. Plus, who doesn't want to watch Matt Damon get made into a 5 inch tall person?