When You Can't Motivate To Workout

When You Can't Motivate To Workout

After a few days, weeks, or months off from the gym, my tips for getting back on track

20
When You Can't Motivate To Workout
Nick Cosky

I haven’t been to the gym in 6 days, and I haven’t worked out in 4. I went to New York City to see friends, I had a crazy intense and important exam, and I’ve been sick. I shouldn’t feel bad about taking these days off, they were filled with memories and then I put necessary priorities first. But tomorrow, I need to get back to my routine. So how do you reset, and get back on track? How do you re-motivate?

I have a couple key tips that I use that help me every day to stay motivated. But when it’s been a couple of days (or weeks), these tactics are especially important. I usually workout after school/work. But if you’re a morning person, you can do some of these tricks the night before.

1. Put all workout gear (headphones, sneakers, water bottle, clothes, hair ties) into my bag for the day

This one is sort of obvious. If you have to go home after school/work before going to the gym, its going to push your workout back later an the minute you sit on your couch after a long day, you aren’t getting up. No one is. If you can, you are a wizard. Pro tip: don't forget socks because if your shoes that day don't require socks and then you forgot socks for the gym, it is THE MOST frustrating. I would feel less bad about forgetting anything else. So socks, put them on your mental checklist.

2. Drink a coffee early afternoon to maintain my energy

Maybe not a coffee, and definitely don’t spike it with an espresso shot. But if you’re a person who has an energy lull around 3-4pm, a coffee at 1 will help combat that.

Interesting fact: humans’ circadian rhythms are the cause for why most people get tired and want to nap around 3-4 in the afternoon. It’s not (just) because you’ve had a long day. It’s about ½ way through your circadian rhythm and you’re body wants to sleep. Humans are more designed for two long naps/short sleeps, rather than one night time rest. So if you’re tired close to the end of your work day, it’s biology, don’t feel bad.

3. Have an afternoon snack

This is another trick to help keep your energy up. If you’re someone who can’t eat right before a workout, don’t do that. But maybe on your commute to the gym, or in the last 30 minutes of your day, munch on a protein bar, or a couple of peanut butter crackers (I am a fan of a banana and peanut butter, especially if its before a morning workout). This will help not only with your energy, but so you don’t cut your workout short to go home for dinner.

4. Make plans for after the gym

If you have plans at 8pm to watch Grey’s with a friend, that allows the perfect amount of time for you to hit the gym beforehand. If you went straight home, you’d have chill time before your chill time with your friend. At least for me, if I make later plans, I’m more likely to be productive before those plans, compared to when I make no plans at all.

5. Plan dinner

The worst is to get out of the gym and then have to think about what you are going to do for dinner (or breakfast etc). If you know what you are going to have, and maybe that food is already in your fridge, then there is less you have to accomplish post gym. Get to the gym, bang that out, and then the rest of your night is easy.

6. Stretch

I have the hardest time getting to the the gym when I'm sore. All I want to do is eat Advil and sit in a hot shower. Stretching after you workout can help combat this! Plus, if its been some time since you've been to the gym, you'll get more sore more easily. Dedicate at least 5-10 minutes of time after your workout to stretch out you muscles. Your body will thank you later.

These tips help get rid of many easy excuses. You can think of them as ways to get back on track, or stay on track. But the number one thing to get you back on track is your will. You've got to push through. That first day back is the hardest, but day two is easier, I promise.

What are your tips and tricks? Hit me up on insta @Lsher.fit or snap @Lsher.fit and share them with me :)