How To Make The Most Of Your High School Senior Spring

A piece of advice from a nostalgic graduate to hopeful high schoolers entering the best time of their young lives: senior spring.

184

Ah, high school seniors... how I envy you. You are about to enter one of the best times of your young lives, and that is your senior spring. Without a doubt, high school has its ups and its downs, but your senior spring is something you'll never forget. It's the beginning of the end — a period filled with pure joy, excitement, and, of course, nostalgia. So, how do you prepare yourself for something like this? Let's see if I can help. Based on personal experiences as well as conversations with my closest friends, here's what I've gathered:

1. Cherish your time with family and friends—especially your friends.

Believe me when I say your friends will remain in your life beyond high school. I still talk to my high school friends every day. Literally. Every. Single. Day. Whether it be in our undying iMessage group chat, Snapchat group, or Instagram DMs filled with too many memes to keep up with, we are constantly conversing with each other. These people are your life-long support system. Don't lose them.

2. Make an effort to be friends with all of your classmates (if possible).

Coming from a small, private all-girls Catholic school that consisted of only 64 girls, it was pretty easy for me to get to know all of my classmates. But the friendships I made with the girls outside of my core group of friends was long overdue. Once I stepped outside of my comfort zone and got to know these girls, I thought to myself, "why the hell was I not friends with these people before!?" Don't make the same mistake. You never know... your current classmates could become your future classmates, coworkers, or even employers! So be kind, say "hi" in passing in the hallway, and make the effort.

3. It's never too late to get involved!

The more things you can throw on your resume, the better. The clubs you're apart of and the leadership positions you hold in high school can help you decide what organizations you want to sign up for once you arrive at your future college. To be completely honest, I didn't have a real leadership position until I was a high school senior. I even decided to audition for my school's selective choir group on a whim at the beginning of senior year and ended up making the final cut! Find what you're passionate about and take it to the next level. Shoot your shot.

4. This may be my biggest piece of advice to you: start holding yourself accountable for your own actions and decisions.

Your parents, teachers, coaches, etc. currently hold you to a certain standard, but they won't for much longer. Once you graduate high school, you gain a sense of freedom and independence. And while this is a beautiful thing, it comes with countless responsibilities and obligations. Soon enough, what you do with your life and how you live your life will be up to you and only you. In a way, you'll have to be your own cheerleader, even though your friends and family will always have your back. Just be wise and keep your best interest at heart.

5. Lastly, I advise you to learn how to do your laundry if you currently have the luxury of your parents' help and don't know how.

Otherwise, you'll be on FaceTime with your mom panicking in the laundry room the first week of college while receiving some strange looks from your hallmates.

Cherish this time, and enjoy being a kid for a few more months because you'll miss it. I know I do.

Best of luck to you and all your future endeavors!