The Most Common Question You Get Asked As A Senior

Professor: "where are you headed next after college?"

BetsyD21
BetsyD21
112

I am a second semester senior at the University of Arizona and I have been asked more than twice from professors and people on campus what my plans are after college. I want to point out that the specific question is not easy to answer because when you're in the job process you can't make a decision right away. It is important for all universities to respect college seniors and that we may not know our future plans just yet. I am still in the job process and of course, want a job offer but I have realized it takes time. Majority of companies take time to let you know your status in the job process because they have to review specific results and etc.

A vast majority of college seniors feel that the class material they learn is relevant to their future career paths. College seniors took a survey called the National Survey of Student Engagement and the results were about 3,700 seniors from 38 four-year institutions answered questions on career preparation in the survey (Inside Higher Ed). Seniors at different universities think that their career engagement resources are helpful to their career path. I personally have a career educator named Joel. He works in the student engagement and career development center.

If you are a senior and are struggling in the job process I would highly recommend going to the student engagement and career development center. I think a senior's biggest fear is leaving their university without a job or internship. As a senior, I understand that my professors want to know what I am doing after college, but I am not fully ready to answer that question because I am still in the job process. It is challenging to be your own cheerleader of everything.

The most frequent questions that are asked is "what are your plans after graduation?" "Do you have a job yet?" "Are you going to grad school?" A student from UCLA said, "In today's job market and economy, having a realistic, executive plan for graduation has become a necessity, intensifying the pressure on college seniors to find a job or be accepted to grad school" (Horan). I am glad that I am not the only one feeling this way. It is okay to feel unsure about your plans after graduation because if you already applied to jobs you are doing the right thing.

My experience exploring different options for after graduation and taking the next steps allows me to realize that everyone in college takes this process differently. I am grateful that I have parents that allowed me to figure out what I wanted to do career-wise because I explore options better on my own. The best advice my career educator told me is to keep your head up and move forward. I think having positive people in your life makes a difference because you can rely on those people that do put positivity in your life. A positive quote to remind yourself is " Don't count the days, make the days count" (Anonymous).