Morphinominal Stories In Mighty Morphin Power Rangers 2016 Annual

Power Rangers expands it's universe with several short stories.

59
Crave Online

For those who grew up in the 90’s it has been a nostalgia-filled trip for anyone who watched and enjoyed the original Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. Not only is 2016 the 23rd anniversary of the series first airing in the States, we have been given plenty of new collectors toys, Funko Pops and a all new comic Book series called Mighty Morphin Power Rangers from Boom Studios.

To top it off not only has the series itself been successful, it already has a short spin-off series, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Pink, the first ever annual issues for the main series has been released. Like many other comic book annuals Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: 2016 Annual #1 is filled several short stories that are not connected to anything but a fun way to add more to the series universe. I’ll do a recap of each story with my thoughts on it.

Cover Artists:

Main Cover: Goñi Montes

Incentive Cover: Richard Chang

Acetate Incentive Cover: George Caltsoudas

A Week In The Life…

Written by: Kyle Higgins

Illustrated by: Rod Reis

Letters by: Ed Dukeshire

This first story tells the week of a Ranger from Red Ranger Jason’s perspective. It starts out on Monday morning where he is eating breakfast at home. From there it continues to him being at school, then fighting a group of Putties, and ends the day with him teaching his Karate class. Each day that follows is a slightly variation of the previous. As the week goes on you see how the struggle for is real for a teenager to not only juggle normal life with school and after school activities, but throwing in the responsibility of being a superhero. Even though there are no real superheroes the normal issues of being a teenager are relatable and you can actually feel for Jason. The story ends on a Sunday morning with Jason getting a call on his communicator. He quickly morphs into action and heads to the area of distress to be surprised by the rest of the team with a picnic. Kimberly make a joke about what a way to end the week and that it starts over again tomorrow. Jason says with a smile “Can’t wait”.

This was by far one of my favorite stories in the issue. Again even without the superhero heroics, the story makes you feel for Jason and I for one can relate to the stress of my High school days. The artwork is very detailed, yet simple at the same time making for a beautiful style that is pleasing to look at. This is a story that heavily focuses on the art to tell the story rather than having you read it. This kinda storytelling doesn't always work and can fall flat, but this is one that has mastered it. 5/5

Unlockly Heroes

Written by: Ross Thibodeaux

Illustrated by: Rob Guillory

Colors by: Taylor Wells

Letters by: Jim Campbell

The story starts on the day of the Angel Grove talent show. Billy is gonna perform magic tricks but can't seem to get his act down just right. Rita sees this and uses it as inspiration. Soon a magician based monsters attacks and the Rangers go into action. Unfortunately the monster uses its powers and sucks them all up into a dimension inside itself, thus seeming defeating them. While this is going on good old Bulk and Skull are at the Youth Center working on their strong man act for the talent show. Quickly they are teleported to the command center in front of Zordon and Alpha. While still in a state of confusion Zordon and Alpha explain that the situation about the Rangers and that Bulk and Skull are needed to help...With the power of “spare change” aka extremely rare Power Coins Bulk is turned into 2 new Power Rangers. Bulk the Baconator (a purple warthog) and Skull the Featherdactyl (an orange chicken) get teleported into the middle of a gang of Putties. Through various acts of stumbling, bumbling, and tripping they miraculously defeat the Putties. As the monster attacks they start to take the situation a bit more serious as they don't want to get destroyed. Through actual bravery they attack the monster will full force defeating it, Zordon and Alpha are dumbfounded. While basking in the glory of their own win, Alpha teleports and sneaks up behind them. They get blasted with a laser that not only de-powers then but wipes their memory. The day is saved but no one other than Zordon and Alpha will ever know.

This story while not my favorite is a bit fun. If you watched the series, at a certain part Bulk and Skull wanted to be Power Rangers. Maybe this is where that idea comes from? The artwork is in a very cartoony style that fits the craziness of the story itself. 4/5

A Spot Of Trouble

Written by: Marguerite Bennett

Illustrated by: Huang Danlan

Letters by: Jim Campbell

The third story stars everyone's favorite ladies, Trini and Kimberly. It’s the big day of the Charity Bake Sale and the girls are all dressed up in fancy summer dresses of their respective color. As the girls chit-chat and get the charity ready it's suddenly attacked by a new monster. The monster exclaims its hatred for humans and turns people into random animals, and the girls are caught off guard. Kimberly yells at the monster that she didn't get all dressed up just so it and her time could be ruined by the monster, at which the monster doesn't take kindly to it and turns her into a rabbit. Trini who was still hiding behind a table see’s this and morphs into action. The battle ensues and goes on for a bit. Trini throws one of her Power Daggers at the monster, at which it is caught and thrown back. Bunny Kimberly jumps into the way to protect Trini and the monster stops herself with the dagger. Not wanting to hurt Bunny Kimberly because she is now an animal, the monster now stands confused as to what she should do. Trini then uses her wisdom and tells the monster that not all humans are bad and can do much good as the charity event that as planned was to help the animals in the community. Through much strife the monster sides with Trini, thus making Riti extremely angry. As the monster is turned back into a normal fox, all the animals are turned back human, including Kimberly. The day is saved and the charity event goes on while the fox that was once a monster watched with a smile from the shadows.

This is a great story that shows what we didn't get to see enough of in the TV show which was Trini's intelligence and her heart. The art lends to the elegance and message being the story which is there is good in everyone and not every battle can be won by fighting, but sometimes by talking. It's clear that the writer understood that Trini was one of the most well balanced Rangers of the group. Not only can she hold her own in a fight but she is smart and does all she can to figure out a way to dissolve the situation based on what's going on. 5/5

Only The Strong

Written by: Trey Moore

Illustrated by: Trey Moore

Colors by: Hi-Fi

Letters by: Jim Campbell

(No Picture Available)

On a distant planet light years away Goldar, his older brother Silverback and an armada of other aliens are laying waste to it. After the victory of taking over the planet the two are interrupted by a messenger for Lord Zedd asking they see him immediately. As they walk to his palace Goldar and Silverback talk about the current rumors of Zedd being injured recently and that he is now weak and no longer worthy of being their leader. They also talk about how they should being taking over Eltar, the home world of Zordon, instead of taking over meaningless planets like the one they are on now. As they walk into his throne room, they overhear Zedd talking with another messenger about Zordon heading to Earth. Silverback interrupts and starts to insult Zedd, which angers Zedd majorly. Zedd lashes out and reveals his new form, which is what we are used to seeing on TV, and blasts Silverback killing him. Goldar is then given a choice to stay alive and continue working for Zedd or die like his brother, He chooses life. He is then told to go to Earth and work with Rita as she has just been stationed at the Moon Palace. As he leaves Lord Zedd’s side Goldar continued to think to himself how he agreed with his brother's actions but doesn't want to die either; besides how much trouble could Zordon really be?

This is another fantastic story to add to the mythos of Power Rangers. Not only do we get added mythology that adds to PR prior to when the show started, but Goldar a fan favorite monster history gets expanded. The idea of him having an older brother that he looks up to is brilliant and just adds to the layers of his character. Earlier in the series it was mentioned that Goldar was a proud warrior prior to the events of the show, but then throughout later in the series is turned into a comedic element. We also get name drops for Ninjor, Planet Eltar and the Zeo Crystals, which shows the writer not only enjoyed the TV show but payed attention to it as well. I hope we get more stories like that that add to the mythos and build upon its world. 5/5

It’s Putty Time

Written & Illustrated by: James Kochalka

With this one we get a simple story that starts off with Tommy and Kimberly beating a group of Putties that attacked them. As they fight the two talk about how easy it is and how stupid they are. Kimberly bring up the idea that maybe they have feelings but are being forced to fight, to which Tommy tells Kimberly that, that is a ridiculous idea. As they walk away from the beaten pile of Putties one in broken English says “Putty love, Pink Pink!”. Later on Tommy comes to the Youth Center with a new kid he met who wants to train with him and Kimberly there. Kimberly takes the new kid and they start to spar, to which she easily wins. As the new kid gets knocked down, they find out it was a Putty in disguise all along and his hair was a birds nest. Tommy laughs at the situation and Kimberly gets mad at the Putty for using the bird's nest with chicks in it and called him a jerk.

I was not a fan of this story or the artwork at all. While I enjoy seeing various art styles the one used for this story was way too cartoony and childish for my taste. Also the story itself feels like it was ripped out of a old Nickelodeon kids show with the Putty trying to look like a human by wearing clothes and a wig. 0/5

What Makes A Ranger

Written & Illustrated by: Jorge Corona

Colors by: Gabriel Cassata

Letters by: Ed Dukeshire

The final story starts out with Zordon asking Alpha for a report on an epic Megazord battle the rangers are having with a monster in its own Zord. As the battle ensues and Zordon continues to tell Alpha that the Rangers will find a way to win a little girl who is close to the battle tries to get close as she is excited and now understanding how own danger. The battle ends with the Rangers jumping from their Megazord as it was heavily damaged straight into the monster’s Zord and defeating it. Zordon continues to watch the situation comments that even with their powers they are and were true heroes before they morph. It then shows the Rangers as civilians helping all the other people who were hurt or need help from the destruction that just happened.

This is hands down my favorite story from the Annual, the artwork and story are amazing. Not only does it start with an epic Megazord fight which the comic started with and now ends with, but we get a true sense of what it takes to be a Ranger, which is true heroism. The Ranger’s show that even without their powers they can still help and make a difference with helping others in a time of need. 5/5

Final Thoughts:

For being the first Annual to a all new series just 6 issues in this one was fantastic. Not perfect as things never are but If you enjoy this new series or if you haven't yet started and want a taste of some of the awesome storytelling going on, pick this one up. Overall, it gets a 4/5 and is a must buy. Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: 2016 Annual #1 from Boom Studios is $7.99 and now available at all comic book stores and wherever comic books can be purchased.