Morocco's Critical Moment

Morocco's Critical Moment

Recent elections give Morocco's leaders a second chance to inspire the nation.

12
Morocco's Critical Moment
Bloomberg

Take a second and think about how you would describe Morocco. What images come to mind? Maybe you picture camels, the Sahara, beautiful beaches, majestic mosques and colorful markets. I was first intrigued by Morocco's beauty when I began to research its history for a project, but I soon found that natural and architectural wonders aren't the only things to admire about this nation. Influenced by the Muslim faith, French colonization and the Arab Spring, modern Morocco has become a place that is rich in heritage yet comparatively progressive in its policies. On October 7th, parliamentary elections were held for only the second time since King Mohammed VI implemented a new constitution after the Arab Spring protests in 2011. While the fact that free elections continue is an impressive step in the right direction for a country that has historically been so strictly controlled by monarchical power, the people of Morocco remain restless and unconvinced of the government's integrity. This latest election has given the Justice and Development Party (PJD) another term with the largest representation in Parliament, and they now have a second chance to gain the trust and respect of the Moroccan people. The manner in which they handle this responsibility will show the world the direction Moroccan politics will take in the future, and their policies will determine whether or not Morocco continues to progress in the direction of freedom and prosperity. Here are four points to consider in this critical moment for Morocco, and I hope you'll be inspired to pay close attention as Morocco's future unfolds.

1. The US (and the West in general) should care what happens in Moroccan politics.

The United States has had historically good relations with Morocco, both in diplomatic and economic affairs. The Morocco Free Trade Agreement (MAFTA) has allowed trade between the US and Morocco to flourish since 2006, and this legislation will only become more important as Morocco's economy seeks to grow stronger and its industries become more productive and diverse. Morocco serves as an important member of the Arab League, and its close ties to nations like Egypt, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Lebanon and Jordan will be an important factor in the continually changing relations between the West and the Middle East. Morocco also deals closely with other nations in North Africa through the Arab Maghreb Union, and it is an important partner for the West as they try to establish ties with the many African states that continue to experience vast economic growth. As a nation formerly colonized by Spain and France, gaining its independence from France in 1956, Morocco still has close ties to Europe. The use of French language in the country is still widespread, especially in government and business, even though Arabic was declared the official language after independence. Morocco was also the first nation to recognize the United States of America in 1777, and this gesture of friendship established the legacy of good relations that has continued to the present day.

2. Young people in Morocco are restless.

Although the government promised to enact change following the Arab Spring protests, Moroccans are unsatisfied with the results seen in the past five years. There is still a huge amount of unemployment among young Moroccans, with a rate of 38.8% among urban youth. Young people from ages 15-24 make up close to 17% of the population in Morocco, and this could be a major economic and political force if politicians reach out to them. Young professionals coming from Morocco's universities need to have opportunities to establish careers in Morocco, and they shouldn't feel that they have to go elsewhere to succeed. Politicians also need to communicate more effectively with young voters, and they must find ways to inspire them to support their campaigns. In the most recent election, only 43% of eligible voters participated, which shows that a majority of Moroccan people do not have faith in the political process. The Economist reports that young people are especially hard to inspire when it comes to elections since they were hopeful that the Arab Spring uprisings would inspire significant change but have become disillusioned with government actions since then. Young people are an increasingly powerful force in Morocco, and if they organize behind a cause it will be difficult for the government to ignore their collective voice.

3. The divide between the two main political parties will only grow deeper.

The October 7th elections gave the Justice and Development Party (PJD) the most seats held by any individual party, awarding them 125 out of 395 total seats. The PJD is the Islamist party which gained power after the Arab Spring and enacted the new constitution in 2011, under Prime Minister Abdelilah Benkirane but subject to King Mohammed VI's ultimate authority. This constitution gave Parliament greater authority, with the Prime Minister now always coming from the individual party that holds the most seats. Since these reforms, however, the PJD has failed to enact major change and has been the subject of several scandals leading up to the elections. The opposition party, which is supported by the monarchy, is the Party of Authenticity and Modernity (PAM) which gained 102 seats this month. Both parties now face a crucial moment, as they've been at each other's throats in recent years and are unlikely to form a coalition government and so will have to ally with smaller parties to obtain a parliamentary majority.

4. The government and the monarchy must do more for Moroccan citizens.

As evidenced by the deep divide in party politics, the lack of voter enthusiasm, the far-reaching influence of the monarchy in all aspects of Moroccan society and the growing discontent among Moroccan youth, there are many challenges facing the PJD as they enter another term and have a second chance to enact the change they have promised. Although Morocco is historically progressive for its area of the world, its records on corruption and human rights issues show that there is still much room for improvement. Morocco dropped eight places to 88th out of 168 countries on the Corruption Perceptions Index between 2014 and 2015, which is approaching the level it scored before the 2011 reforms. Morocco also represses journalistic expression and the right to peaceful protest, and the government continues to crack down on anyone who voices opposition to the monarchy or Islam. If the government wants to ensure stability, it must reach out to its citizens, fight harder against corruption and find a way to inspire Moroccans again. This nation is critical in all aspects of international affairs, and the coming years will show the world whether it is ready to truly modernize or whether the government and the monarchy will place their own gain over the rights of citizens.